double feed 38/357

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
lonestarjeff

double feed 38/357

Post by lonestarjeff »

Anyone else having the occasional double feed? This just started happening with mine. I've been leaving it fully loaded in the safe, thought maybe that is causing a problem.
lonestarjeff

Re: double feed 38/357

Post by lonestarjeff »

I just read through this post from a few years ago on a .44 similar issue.... http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5372

Looks like what mine's doing when using 38spl. I'll have to load up some 357 to verify it's a LOC problem.
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

My 357 has been double feeding 38 special from day one so I'm interested in in a fix too. Works great with 357. I don't plan on shooting much 38 special so not too worried about it but hey I would like the ability to shoot both.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

I got rid of a very accurate, handy and downright pretty little 16" 357 because the damn thing gave me no end of feeding problems and I got sick of tearing it down to make adjustments.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Ah jeeze, watch my videos, willya?

Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Could you clarify where the double feeding is happening? Do you mean that more than one cartridge is dispensing on to cartridge lifter?
lonestarjeff

Post by lonestarjeff »

rondog wrote:Ah jeeze, watch my videos, willya?

Thanks for the links Ron! Excellent description of the problem & solution!

Jeff
lonestarjeff

Post by lonestarjeff »

Nashville Stage wrote:Could you clarify where the double feeding is happening? Do you mean that more than one cartridge is dispensing on to cartridge lifter?
Rondog's videos capture what mine started doing, the stop allowing a second cartridge into the receiver right after the 1st when the lever is at bottom of travel. My rifle is at the farm & when I'm back out there this weekend I'll see if the cause is the spring or something else limiting the stop travel.

Jeff
Zee33

Post by Zee33 »

Make sure you fully cycle your lever in one smooth action. If that doesn't help try taking out the feed ramp and clean it. Reapply lube. Make sure not to add too much lubricant. That can and will cause problems as well
Conformist

Post by Conformist »

rondog wrote:Ah jeeze, watch my videos, willya?

There are also these videos from this quoted thread. Off topic, what is the difference between youtu.be and youtube.com? (other than the youtube.com links I had quoted are now broken)
Conformist wrote:Well, after searching and cleaning every bit of the rifle I could get to, it continued to jam on 38 SPL. I ended up finding these tear-down and reassembly videos on YouTube. I bought a 1/16" punch but I had to grind down the diameter just a little so it would not get stuck in the cartridge guide pin hole.

If you want some tips on disassembling the rifle I found these 3 other YouTube videos to be useful.

reassembly video

The cartridge guide had to be filed just like rondog did with his. Now it cycles 38 and 357 with ease. Along the way I did find some debris behind the cartridge guide. Here is a photo of three metal shavings I removed from behind the left cartridge guide area. That is a 1/4" screwdriver and a 1/8" punch in the photo with the 3 scraps I removed with a cotton swab.

While there are spring kits and such available to buy, I wish all the other parts were available for these rifles... things like the cartridge guide and other parts associated with it. I'm not real enamored with making modifications to make it functional, when the parts cannot be replaced. One lost pin or any other oops, and I have a fireplace ornament instead of a working rifle. Thanks to everyone here for helping me out of a "jam".
Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete. Rod Serling

Our people are to be so equipped that governmental protection of our freedoms is not necessary.