Picked up New .44 mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Mashuga

Picked up New .44 mag

Post by Mashuga »

I have been wanting a 92 in .44 mag for awhile now for deer hunting. I went to a local gun show a couple of weeks ago and I was surprised that a number of dealers had Rossi's in .357, .44 and .45 colt, both blue and stainless. I wanted a blue, 20" and had several to pick from. I got out to the range last week and was shooting my hand loads for deer; 240 gr XTP over H110. I started at 25 yds to check the sights and could not have been happier. I did nothing to the rifle other than give it a good cleaning and the first 3 shots all punched the bull. The pattern opened up some at 50 yds but that's probably mostly my older eyes...at least that's my excuse. I didn't shoot paper at 100 but the few shots at that distance at stuff on the berm were hitting real close.
The last 7 years or so I've hunted with a Taurus .44 mag hand gun and just want a little change. No complaints with the Taurus as it's taken every deer it's been fired at.
Also, the new lever looks real nice in the gun room next to it's cousin in .357 mag.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Picked up New .44 mag

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Mazeltov!
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

I just got a new 44, and you are absolutely right about the accuracy. My first shot went through the bullseye at 25 yds. and brought a very wide grin to my ugly old mug!
Gray Fox

Post by Gray Fox »

I had the same response with a new one I picked up a year ago. It eats everything I put through it. I put a 2x BSA pistol scope on it and it will bust clay birds on the berm at 110 yards all day with factory Winchester JHP I picked up at Wally World. I carry a 5" 629 Classic S&W as a companion piece with the same ammo. The rifle is much more comfortable to shoot. GF
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

I have a new 44 also but I haven't put any rounds through it. I got a NOE scope base and a nice extended range Leupold FX-4 on it right now.
mran1126

Post by mran1126 »

I have a 44 too but mostly shoot the 44 specials. I use it mostly for carrying in the woods or plinking. I hit pop cans at around 65 yards pretty consistantly. That's good enough for me. Love that rifle.
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

I got a .44 mag several years ago and it is by far my funnest gun! Also 20" barrel and blued.