mineral oil, oops

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

mineral oil, oops

Post by trekker »

I know its not the ideal oil for stocks but had heard its doable and wanted to try something I already had on my stainless model 357. The wood on the gun is not too bad, but some darker colored stains and blotches on it. I didnt put much on. What the oil has done after a couple of days is accentuate and darken those dark areas and to be honest made the stock a bit less attractive. Interesting more than devestating, I guess not much I can do about it now anyway. I might go get some real stock oil, something that dries and cures properly.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: mineral oil, oops

Post by Ranch Dog »

Yeah, I think mineral oil would lift or thin the water-based stain on the stock.
Michael
trekker

Re: mineral oil, oops

Post by trekker »

I think you guys advised me on a thread a ways back ranch dog to get some decent oil. I might search that thread and do what I should have in the first place. Turns out its probably not as bad as I thought, the mineral oil may have just to given it that wet look, and hence the colors good and bad being more accentuated. It leaves the gun a little greasy anyway so not something I intent to keep doing.