A Nod to the 92 as a Truck Gun

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: A Nod to the 92 as a Truck Gun

Post by mr surveyor »

GasGuzzler wrote:We all have differing opinions and situations but the term "truck gun" is new and therefore as stupid as what I call "bro country" (music). I have no problem with arming how you see fit. What I DO NOT WANT is a beat up %@*&$ nor a rifle in my truck at all times (generally). A "truck gun" to me is any gun you have in your truck and we should all have a gun with us at all times...therefore there is no truck gun for me.

If I were to loosely follow the trend, I'd have a Kel-Tec Sub2000 in Glock 9 fashion. It's small, light, accurate for what it is, folds in half...and unlike ALL the others in its class, it doesn't look like a third grader designed it.

I hate Cheaper than Dirt too so it's a fail on my block. Oh yeah, I guess I said it already but spending $9K on a paint job to try to make a truck look old is dumb too.

Guess I'm a stick in the mud.
seems like we have a bit in common (already knew that). From 1969 until around 1976 I always had a rifle/shotgun in the old rear glass window of my pickup. Beginning in early 1974 I was working a farm and those guns got used a bit as tools. Crime got so bad by '75-'76 you just couldn't chance leaving one on the old rack and had to hang them on the springs of the back of the seat. That was quite a few years ago. Now a "truck gun" is the one that's on my belt, or in my left boot (or both) at any given moment. Since I'm just a plain old "dirt surveyor" and have no real responsibility to guard the livestock anymore, just my daily carry is generally enough to consider a "truck gun".

As for the KT S2K, I had a KT S2K with Beretta grip several years ago that was really nice. It would outshoot all of my friends' PCC's, every go round. Since it was just a toy, I traded it for a KT P32 for my wife. Later bought a Beretta Storm, which was just o.k., but the old 2004 KT S2K was still better.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Seems like a reasonable solution. Are the new carbines reliable? Sometime ago I seem to remember some less than kind reviews of the Universal offering.

Make smoke,
The Universal guns I'd shot were mostly ok. They made two versions, one was a direct copy of the USGI M1 Carbine, the later versions were similar with a metal ventilated handguard and a toggle switch on the receiver that acted as a bolt hold open. AFAIK both seemed to work but nobody really wanted the toggle switch version since it looked like crap.

The government demilled them by stripping off the wood and cutting the receivers in half. The cuts were inconsistent and didn't go through the same spot leaving long chunks from both ends and the results were dumped in barrels and sold as scrap metal.
I think Century put together a crap load of them out of rewelded receivers and possibly started getting new receivers casted.

I am not sure if IAI used the same castings or not but I wouldn't be surprised. IAI was purchased by Kahr Arms and added to their Auto Ordinance group. For some reason they decided to dump the post war rear sight and return to the WWII flip sights once they started production under the Auto Ord label. The IAIs were not as finished as the GI models I've seen but it may be that some of the GIs were rougher than others. Feeding required some breaking in. I've not looked hard at a AO and the prices seem a bit extravagant for a repro.

I'd heard the Inland label was being used again around 5-8? years ago but hadn't seen any of them.
Likewise the prices seem to be premium for repros.

The last GI I purchased was running the same price as the repros and was in darned good shape.

Spring kits are easy to get from Wolff. Most parts are available without too much trouble.

BTW, I can put together a basic AR-15 with carbine stock and 16" barrel for about half what the M1 Carbine generally runs. I can put one together in 6.5 Grendel or .300 Blackout for a slight bit more but not much more. SKSs are typically a bit less expensive and AKs aren't too much more than the ARs depending on if you have to build it or you can buy it. (Assuming pre-built and properly transferred and/or registered receivers as is required in Kalifornia.)
Deleted User 327

Post by Deleted User 327 »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:Are the new carbines reliable? Sometime ago I seem to remember some less than kind reviews of the Universal offering.
My 1943 NPM GI M1 Carbine is too valuable to shoot so in 2012 I got a NIB Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine to plink with. It's been very reliable, even more so than the GI carbines and it will produce groups 1/2 the size of my GI carbine even though it has a pristine barrel and crown. It's my wife's favorite long gun and it's her HD choice. Even though it's basically a skinny, light weight pistol round, at HD ranges (30 ft max) it's just fine.

However, as a truck gun, I'd pick my Mini-14 or better yet a Mini-30 over the M1 Carbine as the calibers of either are more powerful for 4 legged critters and a bit longer ranges.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I won't disagree with the Mini 14 or Mini 30 except to say that at current prices the AR-15 is still much less expensive than the Mini 14 and the magazines for the AR, either Magpul or GI are a quarter to half the cost of the Ruger magazines (I just picked up a bunch during 'freedom week' so the data's current on the mags.)

For the difference in price of the gun, not counting the magazines, I can put together an AR in either caliber and have enough money left over for about a case of ammo.

Which reminds me, I still need to get the Mini 14 out and actually SHOOT it...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Mini-14's can be much more finicky on ammo choice too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.