Rossi 92 loading gate problems

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
severnsider

Re: Rossi 92 loading gate problems

Post by severnsider »

fredlord wrote:As long as I use RN or jacketed small-cavity HP rounds, I have no problem loading the magazine tube to full capacity. On the other hand, I seem to be having problems with loading certain types of rounds into the magazine tube. When I try to insert rounds with any sort of swaged soft flat point bullets or HP with large cavities in through the loading gate they will not smoothly slide into the magazine tube. Sometimes 1, 2, or 3 rounds will feed in before further loading is not possible. I'm thinking the rounds are turning from straight ahead under pressure from the incoming rounds and hitting something. At other times, even the first round will not go into the magazine tube. When I pull the stuck rounds back out, there is always some damage to the edges of the flat point where it meets the ogive. I read of one Rossi 92 owner who found a rough spot on the inside of the receiver where the left side of the magazine feed ramp tapers into the tube. This area might benefit from a bit of smoothing. The area seems to be rather hard to get to though. I have a normal Dremel tool but I trying to figure out how to get into this tight area at the bottom of the receiver to smooth the surface down. Has anyone come up with any sort of way to get in there? Do I have to remove the magazine tube and reach in from the front of the receiver? Any suggestions would be welcomed.
I have shortened the magazine spring and installed a metal follower. I have not lightened the loading gate spring yet. Attached is a photo of the typical loads that will not feed into the magazine through the loading gate.
I would like for this rifle to accept more types of ammunition if possible.
Not sure whether my recent experience is of any relevance to your problem, but I have just had a problem exactly as you describe when using Federal SPP in .38spl cases and 125gr lead truncated cone bullets. The Federal primers seat deeper thus there is no smooth transition across the primer and case for the following rounds and the "truncated cone" edge of the bullet catches and sticks in the partially-exposed primer pocket. This causes rounds to jam in the loading gate. I have lightened the magazine spring and fitted a metal follower too. A right royal pain in the backside. I now load these singly direct to the chamber....... :cry:
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

I have not checked here for a while. Sorry to miss your posting. After that posting, I lightened the loading gate spring and worked on my loading techniques. It helps to press straight down into the receiver when pressing rounds into the loading gate. This avoids dragging across the base of the lead cartridge and allows the rounds to feed into the magazine. Sometimes I mess up and let the next round tilt too much. Then the next round still hangs up. Loading singly to the chamber is okay for target practice. I just want the gun to accept the rounds when I press them through the loading gate. I may lighten the loading gate spring just a bit more. If I ruin it, there are after market parts available.
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

It might make sense to have that "aftermarket part" on hand before risking damaging the loading gate.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

Yes, it is a good idea except that, right now, my Rossi 92 is kind of a project and not necessary for sport, hunting, or self-defense. I have boxes full of spare parts that I never had to use for other things I was working on.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

fredlord wrote:Yes, it is a good idea except that, right now, my Rossi 92 is kind of a project and not necessary for sport, hunting, or self-defense. I have boxes full of spare parts that I never had to use for other things I was working on.
Yeah, I know that stock of oddball stuff.
I bought a new spring kit for the High Standard Trophy I bought to get the spring for the safety and when I disassembled the gun found the safety spring in the gun simply was not seated correctly. Still have the spare(s) and doubt I'll need them.

There's also aftermarket or even OEM stuff that turns out not to work. Some members here have found the aftermarket stocks for Rossi 92s don't typically fit the .357 sized guns. I have several 'factory' CZ-52 magazines that when inserted in the gun won't allow the slide to move over them as the mag tube is too long.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

It seems to be a fact of life for most hobbies, especially shooting. I did USPSA/IPSC for 20 years and still have a few bags full of parts for 3-gun and handgun matches. I did sell off some of it but there are still things in my bag that will probably never be used. I am hanging on to all the high-capacity magazines though since they may not be replaceable someday.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I'm in CA.
I bought high caps for guns I didn't own before the Kali-Ban went into effect.
CA did their own ban around 98 or so. Initially pre-ban mags you had before the ban were grandfathered but there was some weird rule that you couldn't put a pre-ban mag into a handgun you purchased post ban. Later it also applied to anything with a bullet button that allowed you to have prohibited assault weapon features and possibly any rifle purchased after 2014 since that was the date at which the state started keeping track of rifle purchases by registering serial numbers during the DROS process.

Then the state tried to declare all mags with capacities larger than 10 rounds contraband and you had to move them out of the state, destroy them or turn them over to law enforcement. Lucky there was a stay on enforcement of that.

Then there was a lawsuit against the state from three women who were harmed after they ran out of ammo trying to defend themselves in separate incidents. The judge ruled that limited magazine capacity was an infringement on the 2nd amendment and declared high capacity magazines legal in the state of CA. He issued a stay of that order after a week but the stay said that any magazines that were purchased/ordered prior to the Friday after the stay were still legal to receive and possess even if they were not delivered prior to the stay taking effect. The event became known as Freedom week and during that period I've seen estimates of multiple millions of magazines that entered the state of CA. I think those estimates were very very LOW. Beretta USA sent their inventory to CA. Every source that I was aware of that sold magazines to CA during that period was sold out of any so called high capacity magazine with the possible exceptions of AR and Glock mags. As soon as it was announced I bought a BATCH of types for myself and a friend and had them shipped to yet another friend outside the state from an outlet that was not shipping to CA, he was able to get them shipped toward CA before the stay took place. I had stockpiles outside of the state waiting on me possibly getting out of this communist paradise and I had those shipped as well.

Since Freedom week there's been a big honking partial reset because for a week ANYONE in CA could and did buy, trade, import, manufacture or otherwise acquire legal high caps.
fredlord

Post by fredlord »

We're in Colorado with a maximum 15-round magazine capacity limit. It's not very well enforced and Cheyenne, WY is 40 miles away with no restrictions.
I hadn't heard all the stories from CA. We had a place for our son in San Diego which we sold in 2014. He lives in Missoula, MT now which we visit regularly. No restrictions there, of course.
dalek

Post by dalek »

Archer wrote:Then there was a lawsuit against the state from three women who were harmed after they ran out of ammo trying to defend themselves in separate incidents. The judge ruled that limited magazine capacity was an infringement on the 2nd amendment and declared high capacity magazines legal in the state of CA.
Resurrecting the thread in an off-topic kinda way: do you have more info on this case?
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I found this article doing a search a few moments ago from around the time of the ruling a year ago.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ju ... nd-n989136

Part of the article:
Benitez described three home invasions, two of which ended with the female victims running out of bullets.

In the third case, the pajama-clad woman with a high-capacity magazine took on three armed intruders, firing at them while simultaneously calling for help on her phone.

"She had no place to carry an extra magazine and no way to reload because her left hand held the phone with which she was still trying to call 911," the judge wrote, saying she killed one attacker while two escaped.

He ruled that magazines holding more than 10 rounds are "arms" under the U.S. Constitution, and that the California law "burdens the core of the Second Amendment by criminalizing the acquisition and possession of these magazines that are commonly held by law-abiding citizens for defense of self, home, and state."
So High caps were legal to ship into the state, buy and transfer for a week or so. Whatever you have in the state currently is currently legal. DoJ has issued letters to local law enforcement notifying them that high caps were legally imported and they might encounter them. BUT that dishonest gun grabbing fascist Becerra is still out to dispute the rights guaranteed in the constitution. The law they mention being passed by voters was unrecognizable given the way Becerra wrote the title and rewrote the text for the ballot. He did the same thing for the gas tax repeal attempt and most people didn't even realize what they were voting for when he was done.

There was supposed to be a ruling regarding the state's 'assault weapon ban' but it has been put off at least twice that I'm aware and the entire state is currently shut down by our snowflake governor so it is most doubtful that any ruling will come through anytime soon.