92 takedown model?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GasGuzzler

Re: 92 takedown model?

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's kinda cool my 1951 Marlin 39A breaks in half but I would not spend an extra $1 to get a "full size" carbine or rifle to do so. That means my answer is the same...$500.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

8uck5nort wrote:If Rossi did make a takedown what pricepoint would make you buy one? For me 700.00 to 800.00 would be very tempting.

Yes, I would agree with that price point for takedown R92 in .44 mag or .45 Colt.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Chiappa has a take down model.
But, i dont know if i could bring myself to pay that price.

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/long-gu ... gonal.html
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Arroyoshark wrote:Winchester made quite a few models of levers and shotguns with take down capability in the early 1900's. Production numbers were likely low in comparison with all the models produced, but to some it had utility.
I poked around the Winchester Arms Collector's website, and got some education. Takedown 92s are estimated at less than 10% of production, and possibly a lot less than 10%. In the early 1900's, when people traveled by train, a gun case that looked less like a gun case was good security. I remember hearing that takedowns were popular with bicyclists of that era. And one bit of utility that hasn't been mentioned here is the greater ease of cleaning.

Savage 99s were also produced in small numbers in takedowns. On the used market, they will vary from sloppy loose to vise-and-pipe-wrench tight.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I've a question on take downs in general. Are they for the most part continuous thread or do some use an interrupted thread like the breaching on large naval rifles?

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

The factory takedown Winchesters and Savages I've seen were of interrupted thread design. The "gun smithed" conversions I've come across used continuous thread. The Browning BLR takedown carbines don't have any threads. Barrel extension is smooth, fits into front of receiver and fixed using by use of a latch.

Some takedown Winchester 1897 and Model 12 shotties I've observed also had two "adjustment" screws on the adapter plate on barrel that would snug things up.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
8uck5nort

Post by 8uck5nort »

I still have no reply from my inquiry to the gunsmith that does the custom conversions. I guess it was not serious enough to even warrant a "get lost kid" response...

The more I look at it the more I want one.

I do posses a mini-lathe and can get a milling attachment for it. Then it is a matter of building up my courage to work over a perfectly good rifle. I do not posses a great deal of machining skills. Still working on those.

On another note It also did not look that difficult to do a barrel swap. I have done mauser and savage bolt action barrel swaps so I understand the concept of setting the headspace. It should not be an issue. Does anyone know the shank size and thread on a Rossi barrel for the 38/357?
Trying to improve myself one shot at a time!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

If a guy just REALLY had to have an 1892 takedown model, Winchester is offering a new one, Deluxe Trapper Short Rifle style. Looks mighty nice, and pricey. But if you consider the costs, time, and other grief involved in having a Rossi converted, I think you'd be ahead to just buy a new Winchester that's ready to go.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

8uck5nort wrote:I still have no reply from my inquiry to the gunsmith that does the custom conversions. I guess it was not serious enough to even warrant a "get lost kid" response...

The more I look at it the more I want one.

I do posses a mini-lathe and can get a milling attachment for it. Then it is a matter of building up my courage to work over a perfectly good rifle. I do not posses a great deal of machining skills. Still working on those.

On another note It also did not look that difficult to do a barrel swap. I have done mauser and savage bolt action barrel swaps so I understand the concept of setting the headspace. It should not be an issue. Does anyone know the shank size and thread on a Rossi barrel for the 38/357?

Well, this link might advance your knowledge base on performing the conversion work.

Lever Acton takedown conversion

Good luck with it.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

I've read accounts of the plate that fits to back of barrel and mag tube has been fabricated successfully from Aluminum. That would be easier to machine than steel.