POI is way too high!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mmargotta

POI is way too high!

Post by mmargotta »

Ok, I give up. I picked up yet another R92. This one in stainless with a 16 in. barrel in .45 colt. Braztech.
Feels great, smooth action, nice wood. Had a Marble tang sight on it when I got it, and a front sight of .500 height.
The point of impact was just fine, accurate.
However, I decided I really didn't want a tang sight on a short saddle gun like that, and replaced it with a Marble rear barrel elevator sight that I removed from a Henry Frontier 24" .22 caliber.
I have the elevator on the lowest setting, and my POI is hitting over a foot above the X ring at 25 yards!
At first I thought that the front sight needed to be lower; but everything I read says that I should raise the front one to lower POI. It is very high right now, I find it hard to believe I need to put a flag pole on the front of the barrel.
Am I missing something here? HELP!
GasGuzzler

Re: POI is way too high!

Post by GasGuzzler »

Looking at images of the sight that comes on the Henry I'd say it's fairly tall for a semi-buckhorn elevator sight. With the short sight radius each small step up in height of the rear requires a pretty good jump up in the front.

Is the front sight a .500" sight or is it .500" tall off the barrel top? I am pretty sure the height listed for replacement sights is overall height (including the dovetail base). My rough math says your front sight is about 1/4" too short.

Click this link to see an older post with a very helpful chart ---> Ranch Dog Front Sight Picker

For a very nice "file-able height" Skinner front sight, look here ----> Skinner Front Site for Rossi

For a more budget oriented tall front site that may require more fitting look here ---> Marble's Tall Front Sight from MidwayUSA
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

Thank you! I think that Marble tall front sight from Midway might just do the trick; and if it doesn't, well it's only $12. I guess I figured .500 was as high as front sights go.
I appreciate the info!
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

I think I'd go after the rear sight. Both of my Rossi carbines have stock tall fronts and rear buckhorns, they work fine. Both of my Rossi rifles have short front sights and the same rear buckhorns, shoot great.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

The OEM rear sight has a spotty reputation on the newer Braztech/Taurus/whomever rifles (the Amedeo Rossi rifles have a traditional rear sight) so keeping the Henry sight and finding a match up front sounds like a great solution.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Daryll

Post by Daryll »

It may partly be the loads you're using... strangely, mild loads will shoot higher than warmish loads.
(Its to do with the slower volocity and the barrel lift.. the barrel has more time to rise before the bullet leaves the barrel...)

I had the same problem with my 92 in .45 colt....I only use mild loads for plinking at 25yds and found i was going 6-9 inches high with the rear sight as low as it would go.
I ended up soldering a piece of 5mm brass rod to the foresight then filing the sides down to size.
(My older 92 has the foresight on the barrel band).

That put my loads in the middle, but when I did try some warmer loads, they were then low..!!
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

Daryll wrote:It may partly be the loads you're using... strangely, mild loads will shoot higher than warmish loads.
(Its to do with the slower volocity and the barrel lift.. the barrel has more time to rise before the bullet leaves the barrel...)

I had the same problem with my 92 in .45 colt....I only use mild loads for plinking at 25yds and found i was going 6-9 inches high with the rear sight as low as it would go.
I ended up soldering a piece of 5mm brass rod to the foresight then filing the sides down to size.
(My older 92 has the foresight on the barrel band).

That put my loads in the middle, but when I did try some warmer loads, they were then low..!!

That might be worth investigating as this is a .45 colt, and I was using Unique 8gr. under a 250gr flat tip lead bullet
I have some hotter ones loaded with 2400 that I'll experiment with.

Thanks everyone.
Missionary
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Missionary »

Good morning
WQE have JB Welded a copper wire of the near correct diameter on top of the original front sight. It should give you the proper height you need and everyone needs some JB Weld at home.
Easily removable with just a little heat. The copper wire we get from electrical wire that accumulates in pieces over the years.
Way down south in Arequipa, Peru till June 2020.
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Daryll wrote:...strangely, mild loads will shoot higher than warmish loads.
Or it could be from the bigger flinch... :)
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

I have 3 x Rossi 92s.....all 3 shot high and needed a taller front sight. Skinner makes a nice one at .650..

http://www.skinnersights.com/rossi_firearms_23.html