Buying sight unseeen

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
TheMachoManOhYeah

Buying sight unseeen

Post by TheMachoManOhYeah »

Hello! I haven't been able to find a 92 locally, but occasionally see a few on gunbroker. Is Rossi making a decent enough product to buy without trying?
Daryll

Re: Buying sight unseeen

Post by Daryll »

Having recently done this, I'd say it all depends on the honesty of the seller....

I wanted a .45LC underlever and saw one for sale cheap on a forum... the guy had posted a couple of photos of the RHS of the rifle, it looked ok, and he said it was working fine.
I bought it and after a few delays it arrived at my local RFD. As soon as I looked at the LHS of the rifle I noticed a screw missing.. the one that holds the left cartridge guide plate and spring.

Due to the cheap price I was prepared for this to be a "project gun", so i wasn't that fussed about it, and managed to source a screw fairly locally.

Once the screw and cartridge guide plate were fitted the rifle works like a charm... so unless the seller has tinkered with it, the rifle should be fine.
Something to bear in mind is that Rossi's are not the smothest guns out of the box, so one that been used, and cared for, will have had all the rough edges smothed off...
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

Just me, I don't buy sight unseen. I would rather pay more and inspect first
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I have bought a couple sight unseen from dealers that were 'NEW' but those were Winchester or Browning guns.

I have bought one Rossi sight unseen from Bud's and it came in good shape and worked beautifully.

I have seen a couple, not mine, bought off the rack that had teething problems. I'm not certain on one if it was simply a lack of breaking it in or a lack of running the lever smartly or what but the other did not appear to like to feed .357 Magnums while it digested .38s with ease. There was no indications that the gun should have any problems that I saw when I looked it over.