I Think I'm Going to Pass on Getting a 92..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: I Think I'm Going to Pass on Getting a 92..

Post by Sarge »

GasGuzzler wrote:
Sarge wrote:I get it, Lostcoast. If I wanted a new 357 ...
I must have missed the OP's use of the word new. I wouldn't buy a new one either...or one made in the last 15-20 years. I would buy another Amedeo Rossi. That opinion of mine is not new and has not changed. I don't buy new guns anyway but if I did I'm not sure which one I'd get.
I might have missed that too. And yes, a proven old Puma 357 would be a great find,

Mad Trapper- I've reached the point with new Ruger SA's that I consider them 80% kits.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Hey Sarge,
Last month was the first time I heard of ruger having QC issues,
Wonder when this started, and what is going on.
I thought i would never see this from ruger.
I know Bill Rugers son passed away a few months back, wonder if leadership has changed, and going the way of remlin.
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

Mad Trapper wrote:Hey Sarge,
Last month was the first time I heard of ruger having QC issues,
Wonder when this started, and what is going on.
I thought i would never see this from ruger.
I know Bill Rugers son passed away a few months back, wonder if leadership has changed, and going the way of remlin.
Let's hope not. I got a Ruger New Vaquero last year, and I have had no issues with it. Didn't notice anything I would call a QC issue.

As far as Rossi 92's--of all the ones I've had, only one has given me an issue, and that was related to feeding out of the magazine tube. Rossi didn't fix it, so I bought a few parts from Steve's Gunz, the repair CD, and fixed it myself.
Sarge
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Sarge »

The QC problems with Ruger SA's have been going on a long time, particularly with 45 Colts. New Models in that caliber have always come with undersized cylinder throats, many .450 and smaller. Reaming them to 0.4525 has become a cottage industry.

In 1998 I sold a friend a particularly good 5 1/2" 45 Blackhawk, thinking I could always get another. The one I replaced it with had two chambers off center and off axis, with the usual undersized throats. It leaded horribly and the two bad chambers would print 8-10" out of a nice cluster at 50 yards, shooting from a rest. There was steel overhang on one side of the grip frame you could have filed your nails on.

So I sent it back and Ruger returned it with a note saying they'd replaced the cylinder but otherwise, it met their manufacturing specs. The cylinder had not been replaced and they hadn't done squat. I waited a week, called again and politely asked for a return label. This time I included a copy of the sales receipt and a note, in big magic marker, saying "REFUND ONLY- BUYER WILL NOT ACCEPT RETURN SHIPMENT"

They called & fussed but I stood fast and received a full refund. And that was the last new Ruger SA I've purchased. I'm not saying I'll never spin the roulette wheel and buy another new one, but it'll have to be something I can't find on the used market.
Last edited by Sarge on 27 Mar 2019 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

If you come across a vintage fiream, best to hold onto it.
Two years ago I was in a LGS and they had a new,unfired winchester 94, 30-30.
Price tag was $ 925.00, since Im a good customer they dropped it to $825.00.
I bought it immediately.
Serial number dates it to 1956, they ran the ser # and I ran it myself just to make sure.
Walked into another LGS and showed it off, was offered $1500.00.
Told them, I wouldnt take $5000.00, or $10,000 for that matter.
Because the quality and workmanship of firearms made back in the day, will never return, Im afraid,
I hope Im wrong,
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

There was a time when the major manufactures had actual gun smiths in their qc departments. Now maybe they have a ar builder at best. The guys who actually took pride in producing fine firearms have either retired or died off and we're left with the get a bigger hammer or grab the Dremel school of qc. If you're lucky enough to have a good gun smith treasure the relationship like gold.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Couldnt have said it better then that O3W.
That pretty much sums it up.

I asked the counter guys in the LGS, that i was surprised the win 94 hadnt been bought asap.
they said people were not interested, they didnt know what it was.
they said most people want the new polymer stocked, wiz bang magnum bolt or semi with super xxxxxx scope that will take Deer 1 mile away.
They said the scary thing is, these people come in and buy these guns and they have never been hunting and some have never fired a gun, they head to the mountains and shoot whatever moves.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Every day at the range, almost. I don't know how many times I've headed for the woods and found 6 or 8 cars in the parking lot. I usually pass same reason I mostly skip opening day. Too many amateurs in the woods. The mall commandos have discovered that the 450 Bushmaster is legal for deer here in Ohio, I remain forever thankful that the state wisely limit us to 3 rounds total in the gun. That is of course assuming that the lads bother to read and understand the regulations.

It's too nice a day gotta get off this soap box. The groundhogs are starting to stir and I'll get some early scouting done.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

Yep, I figure Y2K was the beginning of the end of quality for firearm manufacturing. Other than two Rossi R92 lever guns, a couple of plastic fantastic handguns, a .22 and a Mossberg 500, all of my beloved firearms are from the 60's, 70's 80's, and 90's. The quality is obvious.

So, is it just an age thing? ... or is old really better? .... (I think I'm getting old - so, am I getting better?)

yep, I'm just rambling

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Absolutely,
After they made us old people, they broke the mold.
My Winchester 94 that was made in 1956, the year i was born, but it is holding up much better then me.
It will out live me, will out live my great grandson.
Back in the day they were made to last generations.