Ready to Get into the Rossi 92 Saddle Again..

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Lostcoast

Ready to Get into the Rossi 92 Saddle Again..

Post by Lostcoast »

Back in 2012-2013 I had a Rossi 92 in 357 with the 16 inch barrel. As usual for Rossi 92's back then mine was a rough beast when it arrived and in addition to needing action and trigger and loading gate work it also needed a replacement stock set (and even the replacement stock set needed fitting and refinishing). I documented that whole journey on this forum (sorry, photos no longer available thanks to Photobucket) and ended up with a sweet shooting nice looking little carbine. I ended up selling it to pay some bills but don't regret it, as I never quite warmed up to that wee rifle.

Now here in the brave new year of 2019 I am thinking of getting another Rossi 92, and am aiming for the same caliber model but in stainless with a 20-inch barrel. Perhaps it will be birthed in the US factory this time? Maybe with better quality control? But what's up with the goofy looking blued finish loading gate on newer stainless 92s'?

Anyway I just wanted to say hello to the Rossi Rifleman community after a long absence. And if I indeed get a new 92, I'll be sure to document and share refinements, accuracy testing, etc with you all..

Cheers and best wishes.
GasGuzzler

Re: Ready to Get into the Rossi 92 Saddle Again..

Post by GasGuzzler »

Take the gate off, run some Naval Jelly over it to clear the blue or oven cleaner with lye if anodized, then polish it. It will always look like it was supposed to be stainless.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome back Lostcoast!
Michael
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Ranch Dog wrote:Welcome back Lostcoast!
Thanks Ranch Dog - great to see that you are still the forum boss!
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

So how is the quality control on Rossi 92's and the customer service these days? Is it still the deal that one cannot buy parts from Rossi?
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Lostcoast wrote:So how is the quality control on Rossi 92's and the customer service these days? Is it still the deal that one cannot buy parts from Rossi?
Pretty much what it's always been from what I hear and read. The new stainless that are showing seem to be okay. I handled a 357 version some weeks ago and it didn't seem as rough as some I'v handled in past years. I wanted a 44 magnum and my dealer wasn't able to locate one stainless or blued, but he did have that Henry Big Boy steel at a good price and it is one sweet rifle :D .

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Lostcoast

Post by Lostcoast »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
Lostcoast wrote:So how is the quality control on Rossi 92's and the customer service these days? Is it still the deal that one cannot buy parts from Rossi?
Pretty much what it's always been from what I hear and read. The new stainless that are showing seem to be okay. I handled a 357 version some weeks ago and it didn't seem as rough as some I'v handled in past years. I wanted a 44 magnum and my dealer wasn't able to locate one stainless or blued, but he did have that Henry Big Boy steel at a good price and it is one sweet rifle :D .

Make smoke,
Yea if the Henry 20" was about a pound lighter I would buy one..
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Glad to see you have come back.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

As of two years ago that's still the deal. I called up for parts. The tech on the other end was very nice and "Placed my order", but my card was never charged, and the parts never shipped. Depending on what parts you may need, there are other sources.