removing a 92 stock for travel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
trekker

removing a 92 stock for travel

Post by trekker »

Folks is it a bad idea to continually remove a lever actions stock (for shortening the firearm) whilst travelling. Obviously its not the best idea but I was wondering if I could get away with it occasionally, or will things start to come loose...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: removing a 92 stock for travel

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't see a problem with it as long as you protect the wooden tabs that slide into the sides of the receiver. I think those are very fragile compared to the remainder of the stock.
Michael
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

+1 as RD said - just be careful to protect both sides of the stock where it fits into the receiver. Good question to ask!
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Arroyoshark
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by Arroyoshark »

Have had similar thoughts as the OP. Would make a 92 a handy go-along on a bike.

Perhaps a block of wood shaped to fit between the stock wings and taped or rubber banded in place might contribute to longevity of the wings when traveling. Not sure if replacement butt stocks are even available.

I might be just as concerned with the bottom tang threads - need to be careful not to strip out or cross thread when re-assembling.
When sitting down to clean a gun, the first step is to load another gun - Elmer Keith
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

This website sells Rossi stocks...... https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/cont ... s/d70.html
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

mmargotta wrote:This website sells Rossi stocks...... https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/cont ... s/d70.html
Looks like a nice offering but I understand from earlier threads that they do take some fitting.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
trekker

Post by trekker »

Arroyoshark wrote:Have had similar thoughts as the OP. Would make a 92 a handy go-along on a bike.

Perhaps a block of wood shaped to fit between the stock wings and taped or rubber banded in place might contribute to longevity of the wings when traveling. Not sure if replacement butt stocks are even available.

I might be just as concerned with the bottom tang threads - need to be careful not to strip out or cross thread when re-assembling.
Thanks folks for the replies. The threads was aactually concern a friend raised to me as well. Hence raising the question here. Hmmm :|
would be damned handy if it worked though.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I don't think the treads would be that big of an issue. Just thread the screw back in place with your fingers and then tighten.
Michael
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:
mmargotta wrote:This website sells Rossi stocks...... https://www.precisiongunstocks.com/cont ... s/d70.html
Looks like a nice offering but I understand from earlier threads that they do take some fitting.

Make smoke,
Yes, absolutely! They're approx. 80%.