Just finished refinish....

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mmargotta

Just finished refinish....

Post by mmargotta »

I finished the Tung oil high gloss on my brand new unfired 92. I was a little nervous as I wasn't sure what was in the wood that I would be coating. Oil? I didn't know......so I wiped it down really well with alcohol crossed my fingers and started the process.
I originally did the older brass 92 with Low gloss Tung oil and was pleased with the results.
I decided to see if I could handle a high gloss this time; so Homer Formby and I went to work.
I personally love the glass like finish that I ended up with. It might not be for everyone's taste though.
But here it is........(I will now ATTEMPT to put pictures in this post....wish me luck!)

Image[/img]Image[/img]
mmargotta

Re: Just finished refinish....

Post by mmargotta »

ImageImage[/img]
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

The rifle looks outstanding!

[mod="Ranch Dog"]Just a bit of help in that you were interested in the other post. For some reason, you are entering the bbcode twice, the bracketed img and /img codes. Only enter it once. Between those two codes, whatever is entered must have a dot and image file extension. The double img and double /img produces the funny text strings below. In the two cases above, notice that you have the double codes so that defaults to a text string.

I might be that you used the Editor's Insert Image button. When that is used all you need to past in the box is the URL as the editor automatically adds the bbcode.

Hope this helps you become a pro.[/mod]
Michael
Mickey D

Post by Mickey D »

You did a real nice job. I personally like a satin finish.
Enjoy.
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

Thanks! I appreciate the picture insertion help, but doubt that I'll become a pro at it LOL; as it still sound like hieroglyphics to me!
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

Mickey D wrote:You did a real nice job. I personally like a satin finish.
Enjoy.
I can't help it, I'm a sucker for a little "bling" , I guess that's why I love those brass receivers!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks great I'm a big fan of fromby oils finishes I usaully use low gloss but it looks amazing. I might do high gloss next time.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
mmargotta

Post by mmargotta »

akuser47 wrote:Looks great I'm a big fan of fromby oils finishes I usaully use low gloss but it looks amazing. I might do high gloss next time.
It's great stuff. Believe it or not, that was only 3 coats with a drying time of 24 hours in between them.
I did, however, tape off the front handguard as I was in mortal fear of cracking or breaking it.
I used 6 coats of low gloss on the brass puma and I think it was just enough to not overdo it.
And I did use 0000 steel wool between coats followed by a good rubdown with a tack cloth.
I wonder what the name of that brazilian hardwood is that they use. :?: