Rossi 92 puma problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Recoil357

Rossi 92 puma problem

Post by Recoil357 »

Hey guys, I have a Rossi 92 Puma in .38/.357 that has a feeding issue.
It ejects the cartridge fine but when it goes to put another in the chamber, it's a stove pipe about every time.
I did some checking online and it tells how to take measurements and shim the right cartridge guide, I have done this but it still does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 92 puma problem

Post by Ranch Dog »

Recoil357 wrote:Hey guys, I have a Rossi 92 Puma in .38/.357 that has a feeding issue.
It ejects the cartridge fine but when it goes to put another in the chamber, it's a stove pipe about every time.
I did some checking online and it tells how to take measurements and shim the right cartridge guide, I have done this but it still does the same thing. Any help would be appreciated
Welcome to the forum. The 92s require a very positive movement of the lever to the stop to eject, are you doing that. A slow ejection will not allow the brass to clear the receiver port.
Michael
Recoil357

Post by Recoil357 »

Yes I am
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned all the parts?
Michael
Recoil357

Post by Recoil357 »

Yes, I've cleaned it pretty good, that was the first thing I thought of when it happened. It's done it ever since I've had it
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I guess you could try and new ejector spring. With so many clipping springs on their rifles, this might be the handiwork of the previous owner. Some here on the forum have been using the Century C-530 compression spring. If I'm reading the eBay listing correctly, it will be a bag of six. I've been meaning to buy some, so I went ahead and purchased a bag myself.
Michael
Recoil357

Post by Recoil357 »

Ok, I'll try it, but it seems like it an ejecter spring wouldn't help a stovepipe round trying to go into the Barrell
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Ranch Dog wrote:I guess you could try and new ejector spring. With so many clipping springs on their rifles, this might be the handiwork of the previous owner. Some here on the forum have been using the Century C-530 compression spring. If I'm reading the eBay listing correctly, it will be a bag of six. I've been meaning to buy some, so I went ahead and purchased a bag myself.
Any problems with product or purchase? I've gotten gunshy of eBay.....
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Recoil357 wrote:Ok, I'll try it, but it seems like it an ejecter spring wouldn't help a stovepipe round trying to go into the Barrell
The ejector is what pushes the round up the carrier and into the chamber. If the spring is too stiff or the ejector/bolt face have too many burrs/rough edges and don't work together smoothly, it certainly could cause multiple problems.

And the stock spring is just too damn stiff, it puts too much stress on that skinny ejector stem. My ejectors get the most work done to them afa deburring, filing, stoning and polishing.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

rondog wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:I guess you could try and new ejector spring. With so many clipping springs on their rifles, this might be the handiwork of the previous owner. Some here on the forum have been using the Century C-530 compression spring. If I'm reading the eBay listing correctly, it will be a bag of six. I've been meaning to buy some, so I went ahead and purchased a bag myself.
Any problems with product or purchase? I've gotten gunshy of eBay.....
Glad you mentioned this! I've heard of these before and looked for some, no luck. But for $6.95 I figured WTH and took a chance. Seems legit, hope it is.