My Rossi 92 16" Deer Slayer

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
medezyner

Re: My Rossi 92 16" Deer Slayer

Post by medezyner »

HarryAlonzo wrote:Could be worse. Could be a Garand that spews hot gases all over the ocular.
Nope, no hot gas spewing...except at deer camp ; )
"We deal in lead, friend."
- Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
mikreez

Post by mikreez »

Nice rifle! What is the longest distance you have used it (or would use it) for deer?
medezyner

Post by medezyner »

mikreez wrote:Nice rifle! What is the longest distance you have used it (or would use it) for deer?
I zero'd it for 75 yards, but that was based on a history of my deer taken between 50 & 75. I wouldn't hesitate for 100 yards, but I would have to have tree support and a completely unobstructed clean shot. I just wont take free-hand at 100 yards. I also handgun hunt with my S&W.44 mag, so the distance thing is always at the top of my go/no-go decision. I didn't check the lower energy level numbers at 100 yds, but in my mind, that is also a consideration. My 308 pump with the scope at 3 or 4x - not a problem. I'd rather pass on a questionable shot than track a wounded deer through hell and back, been there done that, no thanks. I'm a heavy woods, bang the bushes, still-hunter so this (very) lightweight heavy hitter has turned out to be my absolute favorite. Now, if only I could get a deer to stand completely broad-side at 30 yards and not move an inch...
; )
I have patience (and confidence) in this deer slayer to earn its spot next to my other venison harvesters.
"We deal in lead, friend."
- Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven