Rossi 92 no full cocking issue FIXED!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
medezyner

Rossi 92 no full cocking issue FIXED!

Post by medezyner »

I want to share the issue and the fix that I had with my 44 mag 16” 92. I found that 50% of the time the hammer was not cocking and it was following the breach bolt to the half-cock position. Didn’t matter how slow/fast, or hard/easy I cocked the lever. Same result.
I took off the stock, did a good cleaning by used a whole can of non-chlorinated brake cleaner, Some light lube and I was back in the game…for about a dozen cycles and then back to the same issue.
I really didn’t want to go through the whole warranty fiasco, so pulled off the stock again to ready it for another cleaning and I noticed something: the hammer wasn’t following the bolt and remained in the normal full cock position ONLY when I took off the stock. No stock on the rifle, cock it, everything was fine. I put the stock back on and the hammer followed the bolt to half-cock.
Unknown to me, the receiver screw that holds the lower tang was a little loose. The screw that holds the stock on the rifle, goes down through the stock and into that lower tang, which is has the main spring and main spring rod leading to the hammer. Torquing that stock screw, made the lower tang move. I tightened the bolt on the receiver that holds the lower tang and lo and behold, fixed.
I went back-and-forth to check my fix and that lower tang moving (ever so slightly) was absolutely the issue. It has been 100% reliable since tightening the side receiver screw. As added insurance, I eliminated half of the threads off the stock screw so that the screw seated without over-torquing.
Has anybody had the same issue/fix as I have? Hope this helped.
"We deal in lead, friend."
- Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rossi 92 no full cocking issue FIXED!

Post by rondog »

Just saved yourself $200 and 6 months in gunsmith fees and time!
E1957T

Post by E1957T »

I have a 20" octagon 92 in 357 that had the same problem. I also noticed it worked perfectly without the stock on it. I tried shiming the tangs so it wouldn't pull the tangs together when I tightened the stock screw. This worked but not for long. I had bought a saddle ring lower tang screw off Ebay and after I installed it the problem went away. If I put the original screw back in the problem returns. I wondered if the tang screw which is the hammer pivot might be undersize.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great investigative work medezyner!
Michael
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Indeed, thanks for posting this.