Sight replacement.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jcw

Sight replacement.

Post by jcw »

I need to replace the factory sights on my .357 Trapper. I am going to instal some sort of peep and a decent front post. Do the bolt mounted peeps hold their zero? I am open to all suggestions on sights that work.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sight replacement.

Post by Ranch Dog »

I tried the bolt mounted peep from Steve's and thought.. ugh, what a waste of money. I ended up with the Skinner Barrel Mounted Peep. I sold that rifle, but if I were to do it again, I would do it right and have a Gunsmith install the XS Ghost Ring. If not that I would probably choose Votran's Bolt Mounted Peep as a first consideration and if that was not available, then the Skinner, but not the SG Safety Peep.
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I had the SG safety peep for a while, and it was okay. Adjustment is a bit course, and I always had the same concern as you about repeatability. I eventually changed it out for a Marbles tang sight, and have been much happier.
phonejack

Post by phonejack »

I also put a Marbles tang and a Lyman globe front on mine. . World of difference.
Strawdawg

Post by Strawdawg »

I have the Skinner on a couple of my guns and like it a lot. Makes it intuitive to aim without really thinking about it. I have a Marbles Tang sight on a Marline 94 and It is excellent in performance as well. The only problem that I notice is that the base of the sight that mounts it bites my thumb when I shoot it if I forget to lay the thumb down beside the sight instead of over the top of the stock as would be normal. A .44 mag can bite pretty hard :D
Steve

East of Eden on Tasajillo Hill
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Being left handed I have a similar problem with the Marbles on my '92 in 45 Colt. If I'm not careful the windage knob catches my thumb knuckle. With the 300 grain hunting loads it kinda' gets your attention :shock: .

Still the best solution for me and these eyes.

Merry Christmas and make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
vtoran

Post by vtoran »

Ranch Dog wrote:If not that I would probably choose Votran's Bolt Mounted Peep as a first consideration and if that was not available
Not Votran, correct is Vtoran
vtoran

Post by vtoran »

9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

vtoran thanks for reposting the link to the thread with your improved style of sight. I like looking at that fine metal work. And, it's good to have you posting again. Bring us up to date on your shooting there in Russia. Forgive RD's typo error, or you could mistype his name Ronch Dag. Ha!
jcw, I d&t the receiver of my 92 and mounted a Williams aperture. Initially, I kept the factory bead. Then I tried a red Williams FireSight. The first broke so I went with another that was higher so that I could aim effectively with it when I installed a NOE rail. I swapped out the small aperture disc for Williams' ghost ring disc.
I was just trying to resurrect the old thread "What Optic are you mounting to your NOE Scout Base?" and found that old threads like that are locked.
So, since I'm changing sighting arrangements again (!) on my 92, It seems this is a good thread to post in.
I've used a Williams aperture with their ghost ring, with both the original bead and now a fire optic front, a Leatherwood 2-7x32 Scout, a SightMark green and red dot, and a Burris FastFire3. It's time to try another scout scope.
My short list includes RD's favorite Weaver K 4, Leupold 1.5-4x28 Scout, Burris 2.75x28 Scout, and the Swift 4x20 pistol scope. The Burris only weighs 7 oz., so that's at the top of the list right now.
What comparisons/recommendations can anyone give at this time for scouts on 92s?
Thanks, and keep on shooting.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

vtoran wrote:
Ranch Dog wrote:If not that I would probably choose Votran's Bolt Mounted Peep as a first consideration and if that was not available
Not Votran, correct is Vtoran
Sorry, dude!
Michael