Armscor .357 feeding problem

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bigdogpete

Armscor .357 feeding problem

Post by bigdogpete »

Just picked up a new 92. Having trouble with Armscor ammo not feeding completely into the chamber. Sorry no pics. Only about 25% of the cartridge will go up into the chamber. My reloads will chamber fine. I wouldn't even care about the armscor but I bought a case of it. I haven't tried any other factory loads, yet.

I have thought about putting a little more crimp on the casing or just shoot them in my handguns.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

bigdog
GasGuzzler

Re: Armscor .357 feeding problem

Post by GasGuzzler »

How long is the cartridge and what is the bullet profile?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

could the receiver end of the magazine tube possibly have some restrictive burrs?

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

How does your 92 perform with other ammo brands ?
Like was already said, check the length, case etc.
Ive had trouble with armscor ammo before, cases sticking in the cylinder of my ruger blackhawk.
Had to remove the cylinder and hammer the fired cases out with a dowel rod.
bigdogpete

Post by bigdogpete »

Thanks for the replies. The Armscor cartridge is 1.5835 inches, round nose, 125 gr., casing 1.285 inches.

I went out and ran some LAX .357 through it and they ran fine. LAX cartridge is 1.587 inches, flat point.

Both are full metal jacket.

I am wondering if it isn't the lack of crimp on the Armsor. The LAX have a very defined crimp.

bigdog
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

You could try opening the action & feeding a round into the chamber by hand to see if it sticks or binds. Compare the Armscore vs. your hand loads to see how tight or loose they feel. That might help to confirm or dismiss a brass sizing issue.
bigdogpete

Post by bigdogpete »

Thanks Nashville, I'll give it a try.
bigdog
Ray F.

Post by Ray F. »

I've recently had an issue with Armscor .357 in a brand new Ruger 7shot GP100. The rims binded against each other when loading into the cylinder. I did some research and it seemed other owners with the same model (some WInchester bullets, too). One of the other ownders took calipers to the rim and discovered that (on average) the rims were larger than the majority of other brand 357 bullets.

I'm not vouching for that owner's measurements, nor am I stating that his claim to be a fact. I am merely saying that the assumed dimension issues that caused the problems with the fit of Armscor 357 ammo in the 7-shot GP100 may be causing the same issue with your 92.
bigdogpete

Post by bigdogpete »

Ray,
Thanks for the info. I will measure some of the armscor and compare to some other factory brands. I appreciate the lead.

bigdog
bigdogpete

Post by bigdogpete »

More armscor .357 info.
1. Armscor cartridge feed by hand goes in and out of the chamber freely.
2. I measured the rim of several armscor rounds and the rim thickness is pretty much the same. Only a +- a thousandth or two in a whole box. The rim diameter is another story. The diameter ranges from .415 to .485. Not sure if that is a big deal or not but a box of federal only randge +- a couple of thousandths on rim diameter.
3. If anyone thinks some polishing would help. Could you suggest some areas? Or maybe Armscor is just crap.

bigdog