Sights

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bigloop92

Sights

Post by bigloop92 »

Those who've seen my posts know my 16' blued 357 shoots 8"+ high at 30 yards even with the elevator removed. I de-horned the rear sight and deepened the notch but it still shot 4" high. I ordered the front sight suggested on here only to find it's shorter than my factory one. After much research into sights and scope/red dot options I decided to order the Skinner front and rear sight set. I'm hopeful this works because it really is a light, handy rifle. However if this doesn't cure it it will be going to a new home. I'll post the results...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sights

Post by Ranch Dog »

At one point I had two 357 Mag R92s; one with the Skinner setup and one with the scout scope. The Skinner worked great with my loads, but the scout scope served my hunting needs better. I bet the Skinner works.
Michael
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

Ranch Dog wrote:At one point I had two 357 Mag R92s; one with the Skinner setup and one with the scout scope. The Skinner worked great with my loads, but the scout scope served my hunting needs better. I bet the Skinner works.
Thanks for the reply. I seriously considered the scout set up but I just couldn't get past the look of it. Guess I'm just to picky...
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

All three of mine shot high. I just put a brass skinner front sight on my short rifle. Its best to order them higher than needed and file them down. I already have the skinner rear peep sight on this one.

I think the highest front sight I had to put on was a .570, that was on my 24" rifle, that sucker shot real high. Skinner makes them up to .600.

Sorry, I missed your other threads. Did you ever try replacing the front sight? I didn't see anything about that in any of your posts. I don't know what front sight your getting from skinner, but try going with a taller front sight if the new one doesn't help.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

I did order a sight from Brownells that was listed in a thread on here. It's bad info tho because it's shorter than my factory one. The sight Skinner lists for Rossi is .650 and says shorten as needed.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

I replaced all the factory front, and rear sights on all 4 of my R-92s. I installed Marbles front and rear sights in their place.I installed full buckhorn rear sights on the rear. On the front I used some Marbles, and some Williams fire sights. Had to sight them all in, and now they all shoot where I want.
Midway has an excellent selection of both companys sights.
I did the same on my latest Marlins also.

Dave
WV338

Post by WV338 »

I’ve had two 92s and they both shot about 12” high at 50 yards. I first one I sold before finding the solution, but the second one I discovered why they shoot high. While dismantling the rifle to refinish the stock and fore end, I saw that the magazine plug screw was pushing very hard into the underside of the barrel. So I took.002” off the end of the screw. Upon returning to the range I discovered the was low at 50 yards and I had to adjust the sight up one notch. As a test, go to the range and back the screw out and turn or two and see if your problem has been solved.
Whisper Ventures
"Where the pavement ends our venture begins"
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

WV338 wrote:I’ve had two 92s and they both shot about 12” high at 50 yards. I first one I sold before finding the solution, but the second one I discovered why they shoot high. While dismantling the rifle to refinish the stock and fore end, I saw that the magazine plug screw was pushing very hard into the underside of the barrel. So I took.002” off the end of the screw. Upon returning to the range I discovered the was low at 50 yards and I had to adjust the sight up one notch. As a test, go to the range and back the screw out and turn or two and see if your problem has been solved.
Thanks, I'll check that out!
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

bigloop92 wrote:I did order a sight from Brownells that was listed in a thread on here. It's bad info tho because it's shorter than my factory one. The sight Skinner lists for Rossi is .650 and says shorten as needed.
Even better, you'll be able to file that down as needed.
barracudadave67

Post by barracudadave67 »

If a rifle, or carbine is shooting 4-8 inches high with the stock sights, the first thing to do is replace the front sight with a much taller front sight. This will bring the POI down. When I replaced my sights I removed the fronts and measured the height of them, and ordered accordingly, some had to be higher, some lower.

All 4 of my R92s have Marbles full buckhorn rear sights, and either Marbles 1/16th front beads, or Williams firesights. My 16in .45colt shoots excellent groups at 50 yrds, and opens up just a little at 100yrds.

I did not shoot my 92s with the stock sights as I did not like them. they were not fine enough for me. I have old eyes at 75yrs.

Something is not right with rifle, or you are using the wrong front sights, that are too short. A rifle shot at 25-30 yrds still has the projectile rising at that distance, did you shoot it at longer ranges,??. Maybe you know all this.
Dave