Stainless Receiver Sight for 92?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
coryjac0b

Stainless Receiver Sight for 92?

Post by coryjac0b »

I recently picked up a stainless 16" 92 in 45 LC. It's an older interarms model 92, pre bolt safety. I am looking to add a williams type receiver sight to the rifle, but trying to find one in stainless.

Does anyone know where to find this type of sight in stainless? I could possibly have a williams sight nickel plated but that would add some cost and complexity to the project.

Thanks.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Stainless Receiver Sight for 92?

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I have never seen such a thing. The on-line pdf Williams catalog is quite thorough. I believe they have a phone number that they answer. Let us know what you find.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

My personal opinion - I think the Williams sights are just awfully ugly. Bought one for my Winchester, it's buried in a drawer somewhere. Aluminum too. Was not impressed.

You'd have to have the receiver drilled and tapped, and the locking lugs might be in the way too.
coryjac0b

Post by coryjac0b »

Just spoke to someone at williams, and everything the make is black anodized aluminum. I may order one and experiment with removing the anodizing.
WV338

Post by WV338 »

A. There are 2 ways to accomplish the removal of the anodic coating from aluminum depending on the surface you want to end up with --

A NaOH (caustic) etch solution will remove the coating but will etch the surface leaving a diffuse (matte) appearance.

The chromic acid/phosphoric acid solution used in the Acid Dissolution Test ASTM B137 [link by ed. to spec at TechStreet] will remove the anodic coating without affecting the underlying surface. The composition of that bath is 80 grams of chromic acid in 3.5 liters of water, add 140 ml of 85% phosphoric acid, add water to make 4 liters. The bath is operated at 190 - 200 °F. Immerse the part for 15 minutes and then rinse well in water.
Whisper Ventures
"Where the pavement ends our venture begins"
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Umm

Spray it with oven cleaner that has lye in it. Wash it off. Anodize is gone and the surface is the same as it was machined. Sand then polish to desired sheen to match stainless. Simple and cheap.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

If nothing simple removes the coating airplane stripper is used to remove paint on aluminum and other surfaces used on airplanes. I am suggesting this as last ditch as its not cheap but most auto parts stores carry it. Don't get it on anything you don't want stripped. Keep us posted.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
coryjac0b

Post by coryjac0b »

Will do. Thanks for all the tips. I'll give the oven cleaner a try and go from there.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

coryjac0b wrote:Will do. Thanks for all the tips. I'll give the oven cleaner a try and go from there.
Just remember not to get the odorless type, has to have lye in it.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.