Rossi 92 Quality

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
GaCop

Rossi 92 Quality

Post by GaCop »

Was wondering if quality of workmanship and reliability of function has improved?
Vietnam vet.....June 66 to Dec 67
Deleted User 327

Re: Rossi 92 Quality

Post by Deleted User 327 »

When Rossi got their new CNC machines in early 2000, the quality went up from the older Puma models. My 2 2009 models are well made and finished on the outside but price pressure lead them to be a bit rough still on the inside. They tried to accommodate that by using high spring rates but that can cause premature wear. That's why Steve's Gunz's DvD and kit for $58 is such a good idea. He shows you how easy it is to smooth out the 'innards' and reduce your spring rates.

Yes, the Winchester '92s made by Miroku are finished better inside and out, however, you pay some 2½ times as much and you're stuck with the tang safety and their goofy rebounding hammer, a coil spring, and lack of ½ cock. The Rossis have the traditional trigger, however, with a coil spring vs the original leaf spring, giving them a much better trigger than the Winchester's. They also have the traditional ½ cock safety which works just fine (and has worked for 126 years). But, they also have that stupid bolt safety but luckily it can be removed and replaced with a cap from Steve's Gunz.

As far as the brand new models from the new factory go. It's too early to tell as most of us have never even seen a sample of a new one. I'm guessing as they are aiming at the same price point as the old prices, they will be about the same finish quality as before. It's serviceable for a shooter. If you want a presentation piece, step up to a Winchester but be prepared to pay big bucks for it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I like the old ones much more. To each his own.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

Here is one of Paco Kellys articles on the Rossi 92.
http://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

got a nickname for Paco , the 92 punisher.
He really puts these 92s through the test, and they come back without a stretch or a crack or a scratch.
they are not safe queens, I think they could be.
But they are a work horse for sure.
polish and re spring the internals, and youve got a powerful ,dependable, fast handling, lightweight little carbine.
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

My opinion: The Rossi's (I own 2) are a good value for a good gun that I'm not afraid to shoot. I do CASS matches, and some of the guy's won't shoot if there's any chance of rain because their guns are high value and they won't risk it. I place just as well in the rankings as they do with a gun that I'm not afraid to use. You can see one of my Rossis in the attached picture piled up with all of the other guns after our match last September. It rained hard, and I took all the guns apart to dry them out.
Wet guns (1024x768).jpg
I did slick up the action and put lighter springs in the action. I have what I feel are some pretty good guns after that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.