Rear sight fix

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: Rear sight fix

Post by rondog »

One of these days I'm going to take the rear sight elevators off my Rossi's and gently file the steps a bit sharper and slanted inward, so the rear sights will stay where I put them and stop jumping down to the lowest step. Drives me nuts that they do that.

Otherwise, I have no problems with the sights. I actually like the bead and buckhorn arrangement quite well, they work great for me.
mr surveyor
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by mr surveyor »

when I got my first R92 (.44 mag) in 2013, the first thing I tried to do was file the "steps" on the rear sight elevator to stop the silly jumping. Knowing the steps were rather large and the correction would be proportionately large when adjusting, the thought hit me to dig trough my small stash of stuff and find another remedy. I found an older Daisy pellet rifle with a plastic elevator with about twice the adjustment steps, and all very sharp/crisp. It worked perfectly on the .44 mag and stayed until I later mounted a Weaver scout scope. In late 2015 I traded for a .357 R92, shot it one time to prove it worthy of spending the time and effort, then stripped it down and did the basic redneck smoothing and refinished the wood. It got the plastic Daisy pellet rifle elevator installed before the first real range trip. It's a whole lot more positive than the poorly cut/designed Rossi elevator and has some really efficient adjustment capability.

Guess I got lucky with that ordeal.

jd
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

plaidad wrote:"Now I can hit Volkswagen sized target @ 100 consistently... :lol:"

Me too, as long as it's a VW bus!
Makes me wonder . . . Would steel cored (armor piercing) bullets strike a spark to set the Magnesium engine block on fire? Maybe incendiary rounds would be better, because they would light up the gas tank if you hit that instead? I think we need more options in 44 bullets.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

API pistol ammo - a novel idea who's time may have arrived.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

Ohio3Wheels wrote:API pistol ammo - a novel idea who's time may have arrived.
Sounds like a perfect fit for Tackleberry. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

mr surveyor wrote:when I got my first R92 (.44 mag) in 2013, the first thing I tried to do was file the "steps" on the rear sight elevator to stop the silly jumping. Knowing the steps were rather large and the correction would be proportionately large when adjusting, the thought hit me to dig trough my small stash of stuff and find another remedy. I found an older Daisy pellet rifle with a plastic elevator with about twice the adjustment steps, and all very sharp/crisp. It worked perfectly on the .44 mag and stayed until I later mounted a Weaver scout scope. In late 2015 I traded for a .357 R92, shot it one time to prove it worthy of spending the time and effort, then stripped it down and did the basic redneck smoothing and refinished the wood. It got the plastic Daisy pellet rifle elevator installed before the first real range trip. It's a whole lot more positive than the poorly cut/designed Rossi elevator and has some really efficient adjustment capability.

Guess I got lucky with that ordeal.

jd
Well, you gave me an idea! Seems Midway offers several different sight elevators! If they do, then Brownells probably does too, and other places. I just need to figure out which one would work best, and get me several of them.