Rear sight fix

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bigloop92

Rear sight fix

Post by bigloop92 »

Today I removed the rear sight and deepened the notch with a hacksaw blade. Then used my bench grinder to remove the "horns" down to the notch. Next I took a triangle file and opened up the notch. Last a small brush and black paint to touch things up. The sight picture is much better now. Hopefully it's fixed my shooting high problem. If not I'll be getting a taller front sight.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Rear sight fix

Post by HarryAlonzo »

That's a new approach. Good on ya!
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

That's an approach. Some things never change. My R92 is old enough to have a decent rear sight.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Handloader109

Post by Handloader109 »

Mine does seem to shoot high, I'll think about your approach.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

Handloader109 wrote:Mine does seem to shoot high, I'll think about your approach.
Mine shoots 8"+ high at 25 yards. Hoping this cures it.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

Finally got a chance to shoot it. The sight picture is much better, but it's still 4" high at 30 yards....
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

i just put on the skinner barrel mount peep sight on my 92 and it works spot on at 50yds with the factory front. what a great company. on my ranch hand i filed the rear sight notch deeper like you did and it worked out perfect for the shorter barrel.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

stevep1954 wrote:i just put on the skinner barrel mount peep sight on my 92 and it works spot on at 50yds with the factory front. what a great company. on my ranch hand i filed the rear sight notch deeper like you did and it worked out perfect for the shorter barrel.
You're lucky than because I have no doubt the taller Skinner sight would make mine worse.
mikld

Post by mikld »

I took some time off shooting (4 years) and when I returned my eyes had deteriorated enough I had a hard time with the stock buckhorn rear sight on my 44 Puma. I consistently shot high. I tried different rear sights, different colors, different designs. I had a "Bullseye" rear sight, a kinda peep barrel mounted sight, but that too was a failure for me. The only good remedy was a Williams Receiver sight and a higher front bead sight. Now I can hit Volkswagen sized target @ 100 consistently... :lol:
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

"Now I can hit Volkswagen sized target @ 100 consistently... :lol:"

Me too, as long as it's a VW bus!