Talked to Rossi CS Yesterday on New M92 Production

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Deleted User 327

Talked to Rossi CS Yesterday on New M92 Production

Post by Deleted User 327 »

I called Rossi CS again yesterday and they were much more forthcoming with the information. They said that the production has ramped up much more slowly than planned and that to date, they are only producing Stainless Steel 20" carbines in 357mag and 44mag. Further, only a couple of hundred have been shipped to the states so far this year responding to orders from distributors.

Sometimes the orders were for only 10 or so rifles so maybe the lack of orders is throttling availability. I'm wondering if the distributors are sitting on larger inventories of all their arms and so are reluctant to order in new stocks of arms they don't know whether or not will sell quickly.

He also said that they hadn't been told when the product line would be expanded to include other models, barrel lengths, and calibers. When I asked the price, he said that mfg suggested retail price was actually very slightly lower than the previous production and that a key lock mechanism in the hammer (I've never heard of one with that) has been deleted. The stupid bolt safety will remain, however.

More candor but not a lot of good news. Seems to me that the new worker's learning curve is going slowly in addition to the slow orders from distributors, so it might be next year before we see the full line being produced in quantities that will come close to the demand.
Handloader109

Re: Talked to Rossi CS Yesterday on New M92 Production

Post by Handloader109 »

See my posts elsewhere.
I've snagged one of the 20" in Stainless. My distributor had ONE when I bought it. 4 more showed up on his email list today and they are gone already. My other 3 distributors have received ZERO. (I've got open order for a 16" at one) They ARE coming, and my serial number is below 2400 so your info is right. Don't pay too much for one! They'll be here soon.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

They've been unavailable for so long the distributors probably don't even know they're orderable now.

Glad to hear that stupid hammer lock has been deleted, what a useless feature......
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Sure does sound right, Steve. GB has 5 × 357 listed, 4 of them are new 20" SS models.
Handloader109

Post by Handloader109 »

I've got a Taurus plastic/stainless revolver that has one of those locks. Yep, unless you were putting up for a while to keep kids from using, it is worthless. And it isn't on the rifle.
golfish
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by golfish »

Handloader109 wrote:I've got a Taurus plastic/stainless revolver that has one of those locks. Yep, unless you were putting up for a while to keep kids from using, it is worthless. And it isn't on the rifle.
They're kind of strange. I just had to look at both of my 92s to see they had that lock. I can see how it would be usefull if you didn't have a safe. Both of mine have it, one is from 2012, the other is 2015...
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Kind of a mute point if they are not adding it anymore but I have it on all of my Rossi's and Taurus products and use it in a number of situations. Specifically, with the '92, which there is usually one of the five sitting at my back door and if company comes over, I can lock it real quick rather than take it to the safe, especially if kids are in toe... the older we get, the fewer the families with kids though.

I do some hunting with the 92s and Rio Grandes away from the house. They are always locked and cased in the truck as I always have the carry covered... concealed. I figure it would be a nice feature while I'm in the cafe eating. Say some turd is breaking into my truck, at least I know that as I go out to confront him it will slow him down from using that rifle on me. Otherwise, that would suck. I figure I can put a hard cast 230-grain slug right through his forehead from an unlocked Taurus before he could figure out that it was his last day on this earth because the gun he chose was locked. The are plenty of uses for them.

I've got 18 of them and don't mind them at all. I'm not a lever snob and I'm not going to say that the lock doesn't belong there as the truth be told neither does a 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull or 480 Ruger chamber belong either if that is how you look at it.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Ranch Dog wrote:Kind of a mute point if they are not adding it anymore but I have it on all of my Rossi's and Taurus products and use it in a number of situations. Specifically, with the '92, which there is usually one of the five sitting at my back door and if company comes over, I can lock it real quick rather than take it to the safe, especially if kids are in toe... the older we get, the fewer the families with kids though.

I do some hunting with the 92s and Rio Grandes away from the house. They are always locked and cased in the truck as I always have the carry covered... concealed. I figure it would be a nice feature while I'm in the cafe eating. Say some turd is breaking into my truck, at least I know that as I go out to confront him it will slow him down from using that rifle on me. Otherwise, that would suck. I figure I can put a hard cast 230-grain slug right through his forehead from an unlocked Taurus before he could figure out that it was his last day on this earth because the gun he chose was locked. The are plenty of uses for them.

I've got 18 of them and don't mind them at all. I'm not a lever snob and I'm not going to say that the lock doesn't belong there as the truth be told neither does a 357 Mag, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 454 Casull or 480 Ruger chamber belong either if that is how you look at it.
Same with the safety, I use the heck out of it.
Michael
North Idaho Shooter

Post by North Idaho Shooter »

It would be nice to see some additional variations available. I still have two on my "wish list," although I have bought one that is close to one of those that I am looking for. Keep the info coming, guys.
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

20" stainless .357 mags are starting to pop up on Gunbroker!