need sight help

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
bigloop92

Re: need sight help

Post by bigloop92 »

JRexA wrote:
  1. What Height is your original sight(Top surface of barrel to top of sight)?
  2. Which type rear sight do you use? (Picture could be good)
  3. How high do you hit, and at what distance?
Here is a description of the sight picture.
sight-picture.jpg
When I first shot my Rossi, it shot Way High.
I forgot to use the small notch(as shown under "Buckhorn"), and had my front sight, between the wings, of the Semi Buckhorn.. :oops:

The way I do it, is to have a virtual line, over the notch, and the front sight, and the upper sides of the Notch, should be, at the same height.
It shoots at least 6" high at 25 yards with 38's and full house mags. Mine has the buckhorn sight, sighting as pictured. I did this --- https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopi ... 259#p58572 --- but haven't shot it yet. Idk my front sight height off hand but it's taller than this one --- https://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6259 ---
Iplayfarmer

Post by Iplayfarmer »

bigloop92 wrote:It doesn't fit and is shorter than my original sight...
I guess there are two issues in that statement.

1) It doesn't fit: Some of the instructions I came across say that the dovetails on these are made at maximum dimensions so that the end user can file it down to fit their particular gun. A stepwise process of removing a few thousandths at a time with a fine file and test fitting the sight in the dovetail should produce a good, tight fit. Remember you want it to fit snugly so that it doesn't slide out.

2) It's shorter than the original sight: Now that you know what size you bought and how much taller it needs to be, a little math should tell you what size to order. I.e. if your new sight is 1/8' too short then order one 1/8" taller.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

Yeah I could probably file it but once I saw the height was shorter I didn't bother. I order the sight by what others posted here. A $500 gun should come with proper sights. I'm done with it, just gonna sell it and buy a Henry. Hopefully I can send the sight back.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

With a bead style front I agree with JRex.
With a square blade you want to put the top of the blade at the top of the rear flat.
I've only heard of one other who was centering the bead in the buckhorn as a standard sight picture. I've done it to extend the range with a sighted rainbow lob.

I have heard recently of some 'combat tactical' sights that extend the front blade above the rear flat but IF that is how they are used I think whoever came up with that is a complete moron.
bigloop92

Post by bigloop92 »

bigloop92 wrote:I decided to try this but haven't shot it yet. http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6259
Finally got out shooting since I redid the sight. At 30 yards it's now 4" high instead of 8" high. SIGH!!!
I wish someone would buy this gun or trade me out of it.