Removing Painted F and S

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Totenkopfelite

Removing Painted F and S

Post by Totenkopfelite »

Hello

This is my first post, I just removed my safety from my Rossi Ranch Hand, now I'm left with those ugly painted letters, does anyone have any idea how to remove them, without damaging the guns blueing..

Thanks Eric
BCRider

Re: Removing Painted F and S

Post by BCRider »

Easiest to just fill in over the white with some black paint.

The bluing on the Rossi 92's is a mid sheen between gloss and flat. Call it some degree of "matt". Mixing in a touch of flat black into a roughly 4 to 6 times amount of gloss black will produce a sheen which is not far off the blued steel with a light film of oil. But the exact proportions require some experimenting depending on the brands of paint.

The other option is to chip out the white paint in the F and S and expose the blued steel beneath. But then the F and S are starkly in relief. At least filling in over the white paint with the black mixture aids with filling in the letter depressions.

Needless to say you need to thoroughly degrease the white paint and area around the lettering before applying the paint.
Totenkopfelite

Post by Totenkopfelite »

Hello

Thanks for the response, it's funny, my rifle has the letters in color, Red for fire and Green for safe, but I never thought of your idea to color them in, but also chipping the color away might work to.. thanks again
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

Totenkopfelite wrote:Hello

. . . chipping the color away might work . . .
You'll find that a few drops of acetone (or nail polish remover) on a q-tip will erase them almost instantly. It will not harm, nor have any effect, on the bluing.