Carrier Stop Pin went missing...

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Flyfishermanmike

Carrier Stop Pin went missing...

Post by Flyfishermanmike »

I was disassembling my 92 today to work on some longer OAL feeding issues and before I had removed the carrier I noticed the Carrier Stop Pin was missing! Hmmm, not sure when it went missing. Could have been months or days ago. Gun functions fine as the carrier stop remains captured. Is this a super specific part or can I cut a generic pin to fit? It's #51 on this diagram:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/rossi_92_parts.htm

Thanks!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carrier Stop Pin went missing...

Post by Ranch Dog »

You might not have any choice other than to use a generic pin.
Michael
Nashville Stage

Post by Nashville Stage »

I've never taken that pin out, so this is speculation on my part, but I would assume that a roll pin or split pin of the appropriate diameter & then cut/ground flush for length would do just fine.

As you mentioned, the Stop Pin only seems to come into play when the carrier is removed from the receiver & keeps the Carrier Stop from flying out because of its spring.

If push came to shove, I guess you could leave that pin out. The only downside that I can think of (beyond having the Carrier Stop go flying off into the night the next time the carrier is removed) would be that the channel might eventually get gummed-up from powder fouling or dirt, making the carrier travel problematic.

You could also try posting your question to the DIY Gunsmithing section of the forum & see if you get any different answers there.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

https://www.brownells.com/search/index. ... &ksubmit=y

Ive been thinking about one of these stock pin kits, just to have on hand and keep with my gunsmithing supplies.
Due to my clumsy fingers its a must have.
Flyfishermanmike

Thanks, I initially removed the pin to polish the carrier stop as it was really rough. I want to say it was a directional, knurled end pin but can't say for sure. Knowing my luck it will be some strange diameter pin that will take hours to shrink to the right size.
Nashville Stage wrote: If push came to shove, I guess you could leave that pin out. The only downside that I can think of (beyond having the Carrier Stop go flying off into the night the next time the carrier is removed) would be that the channel might eventually get gummed-up from powder fouling or dirt, making the carrier travel problematic.
I thought that same thing and had the same worry about leaving it out!

I've contacted Rossi to see what they can do. It looks like if nothing better I can get a piece of 5/64" rod to work.
Flyfishermanmike

So naturally the part is backordered with no foreseeable future when it will arrive... I did inquire about new 92's coming and they said 38/357 have started to ship.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I guess Numrich doesn't have one?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I wonder how close the case cleaning SS pins are? Or, how about an old drill bit of the proper diameter?
Michael
Flyfishermanmike

Ranch Dog wrote:I wonder how close the case cleaning SS pins are? Or, how about an old drill bit of the proper diameter?
A 5/64" bit fits but would need a little peening to snug him up. Looking like my best option.