ideas on replacing leaf sight for flip down style/more

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
alphalimafoxtrot

ideas on replacing leaf sight for flip down style/more

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

Hey guys -

I'm wanting to swap out the stock iron sights on my 16" .357 Rossi 92 for something a little more helpful for snap shooting, as well as deliberate/focused target shooting.

To that end I had thought following the usual practice along the lines of replacing the rear sliding leaf with a flip down rear sight, and later on getting a tang peep sight for the fine-tuned aimed shots.

Then, I asked myself - should I even bother with the tang sight on such a short-barreled carbine? I like how that setup would look, with a folding tang and flip-down up front. I don't know, maybe I just want some reassurance that the tang site on a short barreled carbine is not a waste of time/money. I'm never putting a scope on the gun, it is purely a fun/functional shooter to take to the range and for HD. I won't be putting a laser on it either, just keep it old-school.

I did read a few bad reviews of Marble's #95 folding rear sight, in terms of durability. Apparently the adjuster screw breaks pretty easily. However, same can be said of the original or older generation folding sights too.

Things to wonder about while my rotator cuff is healing! It's a worthwhile distraction to focus on my gun hobby, I think. +guns

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Re: ideas on replacing leaf sight for flip down style/more

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I like my Marbles tang it's on a 20 inch octagonal so no help about a 16. It does make precision possible not so much snap shots. Thinking about taking the eye cup out and trying as a ghost ring for faster pick up.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

That combination is intriguing. How's about a Lyman #16 for the folding rear, and a Skinner receiver? I like my Marbles tang, and I trust it out to 100 yards. I don't think it's wasted on a 16 inch barrel at all.
Mad Trapper
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by Mad Trapper »

I installed a folding ladder on one of my 16" rossi 92s.
I need to take a better pic, dont know if it can be seen real good.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... 30999.aspx

I installed this marble bullseye on another, but not used it yet.
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/s ... 05965.aspx
SAN14

Post by SAN14 »

I installed the Marble Bullseye as shown above. Unfortunately, it just didn't work with my contacts....only with reading glasses and it was pretty good. But I was then having a harder time seeing the target. My son with good eyesight had no problem hitting the 300 yard steel gong. I think it's design makes it both fast on target and precise for accurate shots.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

What about the peep from Steve's Gunz that replaces the safety? Seems like that would be ideal for a shorty carbine.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I had the Steve's Gunz peep for awhile, and I liked that it was compact and low. But if you're looking for precision, you can do better. Elevation adjustment is by 180 degree turns, and the bolt is not the most stable or repeatable base for a sight.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

HarryAlonzo wrote:I had the Steve's Gunz peep for awhile, and I liked that it was compact and low. But if you're looking for precision, you can do better. Elevation adjustment is by 180 degree turns, and the bolt is not the most stable or repeatable base for a sight.
Exactly why I didn't wind up buying one.
alphalimafoxtrot

Post by alphalimafoxtrot »

OP here - still typing almost completely one handed - day 5 post-op.
Arm's progressing as they told me it should, tomorrow AM I have my 1st follow-up with my ortho.
FWIW on the rotator cuff repair Fujita scale, mine is labeled as LARGE TO MASSIVE SIZED ROTATOR CUFF REPAIR + BICEPS TENODESIS. Which is as far as you go before shoulder replacement.

None of this stuff is new to 90% of you guys, young or old, here on the forum... :roll:

So where was I? Oh yeah - replacing sights on my 16" Rossi 92 .357!

I won't be going the Steve's Gunz bolt safety route - for the reasons you already mentioned, as well as I plan on just leaving the safety alone to just remove/plug up in the far future.

I do like the Marble's bullseye sight setup - looks good, and reviews seem positive!

OK just took me a year to compose this, so I gotta take a break. Be well, 'yall! And thanks for all the productive comments!
+guns

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

You remind me of me after my only surgery. I was online the whole time I wasn't asleep.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.