Rossi/Navy Arms M92 rifle refinish project

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.

Rossi/Navy Arms M92 rifle refinish project

Postby 64wildcatconv » 05 Jun 2018 10

After several years of owning my Rossi, I've decided to refinish it to get rid of the ugly logo on the right side of the rear stock. Why someone (looks like a professional job) would do this to a nice walnut stock is beyond me:
Rossi Stock.jpg

I've never seen another one. My gun is S/N: NA 500089 LA. Can someone give me a build date or other clue as to if this is an early or late model?

My plan is to refinish the wood with John Kay's Winchester oil finish. If possible, I plan to strip the original chemical case color on the receiver and have a real case color done, but am looking for a resource with experience with Rossis to do this. The barrel is fine and will be left alone. I'll also be cleaning up the action and installing new springs. I have two kits to mix and match from.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
64wildcatconv

My Rossi Choice: M92

Re: Rossi/Navy Arms M92 rifle refinish project

Postby Ohio3Wheels » 05 Jun 2018 13

Some one wanted to claim it for his on.

There seems to be little or no information on pre-Braztech Rossis. Some of them have Julian dates stamped on major internal parts so you might look while you have it torn down.

Best of luck with your project.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Ohio3Wheels
Supporter
Supporter

Postby ethang » 05 Jun 2018 15

if you change your user name to 64wildcatfishconv it would fit very well.. got a big cowboy hat?
Plastic has no soul...
ethang

Postby 64wildcatconv » 05 Jun 2018 15

Good point. Maybe I shouldn't have sanded it off? I guess there's no accounting for taste, but the logo or whatever you want to call it was well done. I always thought it was original to the gun. Thankfully, it was only about .030 inch deep, so the loss of wood will not be noticable.
64wildcatconv

Postby GasGuzzler » 05 Jun 2018 17

I doubt it's walnut unless aftermarket. I'm no fan of the "artwork" either. Glad it wasn't deep. Is it a Braztec or an Amadeo Rossi version? I guess as a Navy Arms it's an "old model". If so the serial number likely means nothing. Ohio is correct. There's likely Julian style date codes inside that can hint at production timeframe. That being said there's no telling when it took the boat ride or even when it was offered for sale.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

My Rossi Choice: Revolver

Postby 64wildcatconv » 05 Jun 2018 19

I'll look for some dates while I clean it up. I noticed a few numbers and letters but nothing that looked like a date code. Yes, the wood is genuine American black walnut, which is what the Navy Arms versions got. It is marked made in Brazil, probably in the late 90s to early 2000s. I sent an email to Navy Arms to see if they can shed some light on it.
64wildcatconv

Postby GasGuzzler » 06 Jun 2018 18

So it's a tweener. Never seen one.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

Postby 64wildcatconv » 07 Jun 2018 07

Navy Arms replied to my email to say that they are not the same Navy Arms from NJ that imported my gun. They did say that the guns were imported between 1993 and 1997 but no records exist of serial numbers or production quantity.

I've had no luck so far with finding someone with experience color case hardening a Rossi. I hate to risk warping any parts and having at worst a nice looking wall hanger or at best a gun that is difficult to shoot. I am starting to lean towards doing my own chemical faux CCH with cold blue or other process.
64wildcatconv

Postby GasGuzzler » 07 Jun 2018 17

I had an AK rear sight I cleaned in alcohol then heated up with a small torch before dropping it in motor oil. It looked pretty cool but not "right". I then slowly heated to HOT on my gas grille after a second cleaning then dropped it in some ATF. It looked pretty cool but not "right". I then cleaned it again then reheated it with a small torch and put a good bit of cold blue paste on it while hot then immediately washed in cold water with detergent.

I was happy with it but I'm not sure you should try any of it on a receiver.
GasGuzzler
Supporter
Supporter

Return to 92