Finally got it.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
JamesD51

Finally got it.

Post by JamesD51 »

After weeks of obsessively checking the local classifieds, contacting every gun/pawn store within 100 miles and lots of patience I got one. After a long day of work, I came home very late and checked the local classifieds and saw the perfect, perfect one. A 92 in .357 Mag, 20'' blued small loop. I contacted the person and picked it up for $500. I finally got it.

This thing is really sweet. It doesn't like winchester 130 grain FMJ I got for it though. I had several failures to eject and feed. It did however enjoy the .357 mag. Any advice on making .38 feed better or a .38 that might do better?

I'm a little concern about one thing though;
On both the .38 and .357 it left a scratch in the primer. Is this something I should worry about?

I'm thinking about getting a leather sling for it, I checked Amazon and saw some Uncle Mikes sling mounts, anyone use those?

Thanks for looking
Nashville Stage

Re: Finally got it.

Post by Nashville Stage »

Very nice; congrats!

Can you tell what year it was made? I'm guessing from the darker brown wood that yours is a pre-Braztech model.

As to the primer, take a look at the front face of the bolt and the ejector. See if anything on those surfaces match the markings on the primer.
JamesD51

Post by JamesD51 »

Thanks. I wouldn't know how to tell, but the person I bought it from said he was the original owner and that he has had it for 18 years.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Nashville Stage wrote: I'm guessing from the darker brown wood that yours is a pre-Braztech model.
Yes, the front sight is a giveaway.

.38s need to be at least 1.48" on most Rossis. Bullet shape also affects feeding.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

A specific data, even month/year is going to be tough to determine. Try looking for a Julian date on internal parts like the lower tang.

I agree with Stage, see if the primer is a mirror of your bolt surface. It might need to be polished.

With the 38 Spl, cartridge overall length is everything. Measure those that are not working and find something longer.
Michael
JamesD51

Post by JamesD51 »

Thanks guys! I need to order a few things to disassembly the 92 but when I get them I'll tear it down and check the bolt face.

Are pre-Braztech gun considered to be better or does it not matter?

I just measured my .38's and they come in at 1.44'' so definitely too short, I'll have to grab some longer ones. Anyone know of a certain manufacturer that makes them a little longer?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

JamesD51 wrote:Are pre-Braztech gun considered to be better or does it not matter?
This is purely a matter of opinion. I like the old ones because the blue is deeper, the wood looks nicer, and they have no plastic parts or a safety. The downside is the older ones have no support whatsoever from the importer or manufacturer and the front sight is not easily swapped as it's part of the front band.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

looks really good +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!