Rossi 92 Which calibres is most reliable.

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
jehu

Re: Rossi 92 Which calibres is most reliable.

Post by jehu »

I have 3 92's in 357mag, 1 16" SS, 1 16" blued, and a RH. All had various feeding problems with 357 factory flat and semi round nose bullits. The worst was the SS rifle. Once I learned of the Hornady Leverevolution ammo all rifles function and are accurate with it. I also have a SS 16" 45LC and a 45LC RH which I have had no issuses with.
plaidad

Post by plaidad »

I guess I must have gotten lucky. I have a 20" Braztech '92 in .357 I have several hundred rounds through it, mostly 158gr LSWC reloads. It hasn't missed a lick yet. I have never tried it with .38 specials, so I don't know if it would cycle them.
GRV01
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by GRV01 »

plaidad wrote:I guess I must have gotten lucky. I have a 20" Braztech '92 in .357 I have several hundred rounds through it, mostly 158gr LSWC reloads. It hasn't missed a lick yet. I have never tried it with .38 specials, so I don't know if it would cycle them.
Same, my 357 20" round barrel has worked very well with my reloads aswell but i can say that it didnt like .38s which is fine by me. I can just handload catsneeze .357s but i onow some othwrs dont ha e that option

Mine was kade in 2013 iirc, wifeys in 2017 i believe and both are in good shape. I miss em, theyre still in storage halfway across the country :'(
No thin chicks
Currently reloading: 38 SPL, 357 MAG
Rossi's Owned: M92 .357 20"(Owned by Wifey: M92 .357 16")
BCRider

Post by BCRider »

One other thing that I found was important was to ensure that the side bars just barely fit a round up from the elevator/carrier. And odd as it sounds when I tried to line up the side bar guides with the round on the carrier it kept lifting up rounds and pointing at the sky. Once I realized that part of the function of the guides in a rapidly cycled 92 is to stop the round from bouncing up and put moved the shim to the other side so the round had to dogleg up and around the bars by just a very little bit then things really started to come together.

Along the way I also bell mouthed the chamber opening on mine. Although the four later guns I've done since mine were already decently bell mouthed and simply needed a bit of smoothing.

For me the final part of the puzzle was switching from roll crimping my rifle ammo to using a 9mm lee factory TAPER crimp die. And I crimp a touch on the heavy side to pull in the edge of the casing fairly snug with the bullet so you don't really feel your finger catch on the case mouth. It's there but minimal.

With all the other things plus these I can now cycle the gun and shoot it at a berm as fast as I can cycle and pull the trigger and I don't get any stickiness or jams.

They do take some finicky work. There's no doubt about that. But no more than an 1873. It's just that the work needed to make a 92 sing loud and true isn't as well known as for the older link style actions. And there's no short stroke kit either. But with some TLC sing they can. And it's a lovely tune when it all comes together.