Hair trigger - need to make it heavier

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
armyRN

Hair trigger - need to make it heavier

Post by armyRN »

I've got a 44 Mag model 92 in SS with the 16" barrel. When I lived in TX near Steve's Gunz I had him do a once-over on my little carbine, to include a trigger job. It came out nicely. Also had a 3/4 big loop installed, along with a peep site. The gun feeds and fires nicely, but the trigger is too soft - almost a hair trigger. I'm almost afraid to shoot it. And now I'm in WA, so I can't just run it back over to him.

How difficult is it to make the trigger pull heavier?
Nashville Stage

Re: Hair trigger - need to make it heavier

Post by Nashville Stage »

It's not overly difficult. The first step that you'd need to do is remove the lower tang from the rifle so you can see the trigger & its spring. If you don't know how to do this, you can reference Steve Young's DVD. There are a handful of Rossi 92 disassembly videos on YouTube as well.

Sometimes the trigger pull is lightened by adding thin shims between the trigger spring & the tang. If that's how yours was done, those shims can be removed.

You could try bending the trigger spring a little to see what that does.

You can also order an aftermarket trigger spring to replace the one that's in there now. I believe that Brownells has some. Other folks might have good source for them, too.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

My advice is a carbon copy of the above.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

Thanks. I'll have to watch some Youtubes. I checked Brownells, and they had springs to make the trigger lighter, but I want to make it heavier.
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

The Brownell's springs won't necessarily make your trigger lighter.
They are designed to make the trigger lighter than factory but you trigger is already lightened.
They probably won't be lighter than your trigger already is and may be heavier.
It would also give you a part to experiment with and that if you damage you still have your existing parts.
jayb514

Post by jayb514 »

I bought my 357 carbine from Steve. The trigger IS light but I like it. I can't guarantee it but I would be shocked if the after market springs are lighter.
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

Steve (from Steve's Gunz) said if I sent him a self-addressed padded envelope, he'd send me a replacement spring. So the letter is sent, and when I get the spring I'll swap it in. Too light a trigger scares me.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

That was nice of him!
Michael
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

So today I finally replaced the trigger spring (flat spring). I watched a couple videos on taking it apart, and then went at it. It came apart fine, but it took me a while to get it back together. I actually had to watch a video again. But then it clicked and went back together no problem. Much better now.