Gun show find

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gun show find

Post by Ranch Dog »

m-saunoras wrote:I managed to find brass, bullets and dies at Cabelas today. Got home loaded up 5 and shot them outside. Seems to feed, fire and extract just fine. They loaded just fine through the loading gate. I'm not sure why these things have an optional tube loader. Honestly I was expecting this little Rossi to kick like my 45-70 1895 but it wasn't even close!

Anyone else regularly shoot a 454? I stopped in a gun store on the way home yesterday and they had Winchester 454 Casull brass priced at $103.50 for a bag of 100. I think the Starline brass I bought at Cabelas today was $41.99 per 100.
I've got the 454 Casull and the Rio Grande in 45-70 Govt. I was shooting the Casull on a regular basis through Dec '16 but had a case failure with Starline brass and have just not gotten back to it.

I was getting ready for a hunting trip when this happened and switched my plans and took the Rio Grande. This topic describes what happened: Rio Grande Goes Mule Deer Hunting but...

I'm just finishing up the load work on my SMLE Scout, and the 454 Casull is sitting on the project bench read to sort out the issue with the brass. This rifle is on my gunsmith bench and will finally get looked at as my next project. Since I set it aside, I notice the lever drooping while the rifle was at rest in a gun rack. I'm wondering about the possibility of the Lever's Friction Stud assembly is doing its job as I remember the lever can be knocked open under recoil. I wonder if at the shot the bolt is being knocked out of battery. That could cause the case to fail. That's what I want to look at before I condemn the cases.

Honestly, my 454 was a mess and should have been sent back. Cartridge guide issues (big time), cracked buttstock, and a few others. I spent a bunch of time with it and ended up with a good rifle though.
Michael