Gun show find

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
m-saunoras

Gun show find

Post by m-saunoras »

I have no idea what I have here so be easy on me if it was a bust. I wasn't really looking for one and I did not have any time to look into it. What I bought was a Puma 454 Casull stainless 16" today at a gun show but there's some things that I'm not sure about.

First is the stock color. Did any Rossi's come with a darker finish like this one has or is this a refinish? Second is the "limbsaver" recoil pad. Is this factory on a 454 Puma? The recoil pad is in rough shape and I'm not sure if it's replaceable. It would look nice with a new one.

It also has a fiber optic front sight which I'm not wild about and the receiver has been drilled on the left side for a scope mount. I'm not too concerned about the holes, it wasn't a deal breaker considering the scarcity.

I guess I get to buy some 454 loading supplies soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gun show find

Post by Ranch Dog »

I sound like an Amedeo Rossi, pre-Braztech rifle. They had the darker wood stock. If it has a limb saver, it must have been a replacement for the factory pad, Amedeo & Braztech, are semi-ventilated pads. If you are happy, we all are happy as they have become a tough find. I think it is purdy!
Michael
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looks like a great find to me! Mazeltov!
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

It's an LSI Puma. Tang safety but no hammer lock. I wasn't sure about the limbsaver but thanks for clearing that up. Any recommendations for a replacement pad? I was reading a little about them and this one shows signs of "melting." If it's been replaced before then it should be no problem to do it again.

I got the gun for $600. The seller would not budge and for some reason I could not leave it there. It may be high but if it functions okay then I feel it will be worth it. I love magnum pistol calibers and this gun fits right in with my collection. Not to mention I have never seen a stainless 16" trapper in any caliber.

After I posted this I cleaned and inspected it a little harder. The gun had some dust in the corners like it sat around a while but not much inside the action. I know my other 92s get dirty fast but this was not like that. The yellow mag follower is still very much yellow and not carboned up. I really feel that this gun hasn't seen much use. The loading gate doesn't have any scratches around it at all.

The big gun shows I go to have NO Rossi's at all. I noticed they turn up at the not so frequent firehall and backwoods gun shows.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

m-saunoras wrote:I wasn't sure about the limbsaver but thanks for clearing that up. Any recommendations for a replacement pad? I was reading a little about them and this one shows signs of "melting." If it's been replaced before then it should be no problem to do it again.
The rifle has been in a safe that uses heat as to circulate air and dehumidify. I was a Limbsaver guy until I found this out. I had to change out 18 to 20 pads that went flat and leaked onto the floor of my safe. Unfortunately, I don't know of any replacements that fit. You will need to do your homework on that.
m-saunoras wrote:I got the gun for $600.
I think that a fair price for the rifle.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I've never seen an original Amedeo Rossi pre-Braztech:
  • in stainless
  • with a dovetail sight
  • with a safety
  • with a plastic follower
Yours has all four.

454's had pads unlike the others but they weren't name brand.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

GasGuzzler wrote:I've never seen an original Amedeo Rossi pre-Braztech:
  • in stainless
  • with a dovetail sight
  • with a safety
  • with a plastic follower
Yours has all four.

454's had pads unlike the others but they weren't name brand.
Notice that the front sight is not part of the barrel band. I think what happened GG is with the Puma's, imported by LSI, and manufactured by A. Rossi; there was barrel stock left over and Braztech completed the contract with their components; complete receivers and other small parts. My 480 is an example; A. Rossi barrel and Braztech stamped receiver with the safety. The follower is metal but I suspect that was left over from A. Rossi stock. It is possibly why there was a five-year span before the 454 Casull was reintroduced. Braztech had to think about it.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Yeah I have the sight listed. My OLD one has the site as part of the band, not in a dovetail. The new ones have a dovetail sight like this one. My '87 model has dark wood but nothing like the one pictured above. Mine has walnut style grain, not stripes. The stocks on the one above certainly look good against the stainless and I'm not a stainless kind of guy.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
JRexA

Post by JRexA »

I own a Rossi 92 in .44 Mag, with similar colors, that I bought in late 2011, from a Danish Dealer, that got it, from Frankonia, in Germany.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4135
I don't know if it has been in stock, at Frankonia, for Years.

It is marked Amadeo Rossi, on the Tang and Box(Also Puma, on the Box), Stainless, Round 20" Barrel, front sight on the barrel "black wood", no safety, and yellow plastic follower.
Happy Shooting from Greenland
Jesper Rex
m-saunoras

Post by m-saunoras »

I managed to find brass, bullets and dies at Cabelas today. Got home loaded up 5 and shot them outside. Seems to feed, fire and extract just fine. They loaded just fine through the loading gate. I'm not sure why these things have an optional tube loader. Honestly I was expecting this little Rossi to kick like my 45-70 1895 but it wasn't even close!

Anyone else regularly shoot a 454? I stopped in a gun store on the way home yesterday and they had Winchester 454 Casull brass priced at $103.50 for a bag of 100. I think the Starline brass I bought at Cabelas today was $41.99 per 100.