Identifying 92 2017 & '18 Year Models

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Identifying 92 2017 & '18 Year Models

Post by Ranch Dog »

George wrote:Purchased R92 357 2093 stainless 20" from Sportsmens Outdoor Superstore about 2 weeks ago. Stamped 2017. Very good fit and finish. Have not been to the range with it.
Thanks George and welcome to the forum!
Michael
stevep1954

Post by stevep1954 »

i asked the kentucky gun co. about date of the 92's they have in stock and their response was:
"All of the models that we have are made in 2015 and 2016. It appears the the M92 has been Discontinued by Rossi and is not going to be made in 2018"
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

stevep1954 wrote:i asked the kentucky gun co. about date of the 92's they have in stock and their response was:
"All of the models that we have are made in 2015 and 2016. It appears the the M92 has been Discontinued by Rossi and is not going to be made in 2018"
That is a statement that finally makes sense and has been demonstrated on these pages.
Michael
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

Yes, it makes sense in light of the findings so far, but it makes no business sense at all. :o

Oh,wait, it's rossi of whom we speak. :oops:

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Handloader109

Post by Handloader109 »

Well, got my 20" stainless steel in today. Box looks like the 2017 box. Same number 923572093 and serial number starts the same 7CR00xxxxL. The gun has serial number in same location, no date stamp, just serial number. On makers location on barrel, it has Made in Brazil by CBC. The CBC was engraved at different time, and from what I see that must be the new plant.
Fit and finish looks good. decent vertical polish on stainless, wood looks good, forearm piece is slightly darker wood (not finish) but I'd expect that. Not bad match. Haven't shot, will be a bit, but it chambers and ejects both 38special and 357 duds I had put together. Yeah, needs several hundred run thru it to smooth things out.
Didn't realize they had a manual safety on top, Guess it's ok. and to be expected in this day.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow once I upload some. If anyone wants one, there may be a couple left. I can do about what opening bid is on gunbroker and I am a FFL holder and can ship to your dealer. I think I'm going to gussy this one up with some scrollwork..... And go shooting
Handloader109

Post by Handloader109 »

Posted under picture thread. And it shoots well. I'll get out and do some more in next day or two. I was just playing yesterday.
Rich S

Post by Rich S »

Hey folks,
new to forum, haven't been shooting much these last few years but got an itch for a .357 carbine lately...:-)
so it begins again...I am writing to tell of my experiences because a week ago I was that guy wondering what to expect from this Rossi gun i ordered...I had had a Taurus .357 (m689) in the early 90's and got good service from it so based on that i went for it. as far as i can tell this 92 is truest to the original design of the 92 which was important to me and in stainless...Mmm.
well a few days ago I picked up my Rossi stainless 20" m92. bought from York Firearms in Maine, cant say enough about how well they treated me and how pleased I am with every aspect of the transaction, good folks and a stocking Rossi dealer. fwiw.
the ser # seems consistent with the 2018 numbers listed above 7CR00xxxxL
model # 92 357 2093
barrel: Rossi R92 .38spl-.357mag- made in Brazil by CBC/ Braztech International, Miami Fl
there is no key lock on the hammer (this pleases me)

wood is plain, finish almost natural, fit of the wood i would grade about a B or B+ about what id expect from marlin on a .22 not quite Ruger 10/22 quality, squarely field grade but good.
the fit-n-finish of the working bits i'd call about as good as my little SP101 I bought a few years back (last itch i had was to try .327Fed when they came out... or maybe about like some of my 70's or early 80's stainless S&W's...if that makes sense..
the local shop I picked it up at had a decent selection of levers and stocks Henrys, so he a lever guy. on opening it we cycled it to see how it felt, I think he captured it by saying it felt very good but a bit "crunchy"
a few drops of oil helped considerably, and it began smoothing out after only a couple of shots. i have about a box of ammo through it total (mix of .38's and .357's) and it feels if memory serves about same as an old winchester I used to have in 32win spl.
havent tested accuracy much beyond it hits seltzer cans off hand shooting easily at 50 yards, hits high or low as would be expected with switching bet 357/38 doesn't much like semi wadcutters and hates wadcutters but slick as can be with round nose and jsp or jhp. have some magtech 158 gr sjhp .357's and this (suprise) seems to be its favorite.
so all in all I am very pleased with my purchase, was thinking i'd have to send it out to Steves Gunz and still may just to see how smooth it can be...but if not it appears to be a good and serviceable thing just as it sits.
best regards,
Rich
73gitane

Post by 73gitane »

Got a 2018 R92! This is my first Rossi 1892 and after all the research I've done I anticipated I would have a nice kit gun to tinker with and smooth out. I did not mind this possibility as I love to tinker. I have a Chiappa 1892 in 44-40 blued and a steel Henry Big Boy in 45 Colt so these are the two lever guns I can compare to this new Rossi.

I really don't have anything bad to say about this rifle. It was pretty crunchy compared to the Chiappa which is oh so smooth. But the Rossi is smoothing out with some use. It still has some resistance as the lugs engage. The Chiappa has none. But try as I might I could not cut myself with the loading gate! I've only shot it at 25 yards so far but the groups are tight so it seems this gun has good promise!

I think the smooth loading gate is just one indication of some improved manufacturing that is taking place. It will be interesting to hear others impressions. I plan on fully taking it down for deep cleaning and smoothing but I am very pleased with the initial results!

Here's a picture of the box and reciever:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

It will be very interesting to see what Rossi pulls out of the hat for 2019. Their entry into the black plastic 22 semi-autos sure fizzled out, and 92s never were more than a trickle. They have made no customer contact since they told us to stop shooting our revolvers and I've run very thin on the factory move (two years now).

What do you think will happen or wish for?

Me, I continue to wish that the parent would sell the outfit to someone that would be interested in it and depend on it to produce an income or return on investment. That wish would include getting it out of Brazil. I would be okay with it being made in China, at least they would run a viable business model.
Michael
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

I will add that the Chinese seem to love the American west so I bet they would like a levergun business. Several years ago, I imported a row planter from China and the factory went nuts that they had a customer from Texas. I found out that a lot of cowboy hats and boots are worn in China.
Michael