What causes this....

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
nagantino

What causes this....

Post by nagantino »

My Rossi 92 is doing this despite my best conscious effort to operate lever positively. I have been trying to eliminate all obstacles to smooth operation of the Rossi 92 but this problem persists. Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: What causes this....

Post by akuser47 »

Cartridge stop is acting up. Have you ever taken her apart for a good look and clean up?
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

If the overall length of the cartridge (COAL) is less than 1.45" (or thereabouts) the rear-most cartridge is not long enough to keep the following (next) cartridge in the magazine tube until the cartridge stop returns to its job-related position. This situation is common with .38 special cartridges loaded with 125 gr RN bullets.

How does this 92 feed and function with 357s? If it performs correctly, stick with those cartridges. Better yet, if you're a handloader, seat bullets in 38s for a COAL of about 1.5" and your troubles will disappear. If your 92 does not feed 357s correctly I'm certain others will offer alternative suggestions.

To visualize what might be going on take a look at the last post on this link.

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5372
Sasquash

Post by Sasquash »

2 Possibilities:
-Too short cartridges.
-Cartridge stop is not released when the bolt opens.
Clean it and/or polish its mechanism.
Maybe its spring is broken or out of position.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Most don't like anything shorter than 1.48-1.50"
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
nagantino

Post by nagantino »

After reading all I could about this problem and trying to understand the mechanical reason behind a double feed, like the photo shows, I'm a little wiser.
I didn't want to open the rifle to get at the left side cartridge guide with it's spring and hinged cartridge stop. I didn't believe that was the problem. I did flush it out with brake degreaser, then lubricant. I made some dummy rounds and and proceeded to load, lever, pull trigger, eject. The problem of a double feed showed up with shorter rounds, as everyone had advised, but I was amazed at the tiny difference between 1.54 and 1.57 could cause the problem to occur. I have settled on 1.58 as my OAL for my .357 rounds. Forget .38 special.
If you look at the photo you can see that I have crimped into the crimp groove of the 158 gr. bullet. It makes sense right? I mean it's the crimp groove, right? Not really. 1.58 is below the groove by a finger nail thickness. I have practiced so much that the lever action is pretty good now. Next Cowboy comp I will lever with positivity and try to eliminate the problems. So there. It's like everyone said.......OAL is everything in a .357 in a Rossi 92. Because it looks right doesn't mean it will work.
Thanks to all who helped.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the report! I had absolute hell with round balls rounds, that is why I dropped them.
Michael