Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Re: Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, good possibility that I'm wrong. Mine is not an older Puma. It does dent fairly easily. I wouldn't say that a propensity for cracking is related to hardness. I should pull the forearm and see if it floats.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

My deal is I replace gun parts when they break and have no real worry about anything on the 92. Are there any parts on the 92 that are prone to break? They heavily market emergency AR field kits with an WR firing pin. I spent 24 years military and never saw one break. But I had a firing pin wear down on a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and one in the Marlin 3922, so I know it does happen. I cannot find any parts that break often on this forum. Are there any?
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Screw heads, so screws. The heads are rather brittle. No one else provides them other than Rossi.

To be more specific, the forearm tip screw is the one that usually breaks because the barrel has not be relieved enough to get it past them. If you have already removed it and properly fitted it all back, you should be good to go as long as you always use a properly fitted slotted driver and remove stuff on a regular basis for cleaning (even every two to three years).

In that I have read every post on the forum, I've read of every part within the bolt being broken or lost in assembly. We have also had several reports of the magazine plug screw and the magazine plug itself having gone downrange. Buttstocks have cracked, but I don't remember any issue with the forearm stock other than fit. In a nutshell, I think I have read of every screw or pin used on the rifle come up broken or missing in assembly.

At one time, I had tried to purchase 100 of every pin and screw, plus the ejector collar, but they didn't have them in stock. I tried to work at it in small lots, but it was an impossible task as some were never in stock. My thought was to stock them for the forum, but there ended up being other problems with that as well.
Michael
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

OldGringo wrote: Wonder why Rossi does not just tell what it is?
Because then they wouldn't be able to change sources as demand dictates and they'd have to continually change their literature if a substitute was used.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

Ranch Dog wrote:Screw heads, so screws. The heads are rather brittle. No one else provides them other than Rossi.

To be more specific, the forearm tip screw is the one that usually breaks because the barrel has not be relieved enough to get it past them. If you have already removed it and properly fitted it all back, you should be good to go as long as you always use a properly fitted slotted driver and remove stuff on a regular basis for cleaning (even every two to three years).

In that I have read every post on the forum, I've read of every part within the bolt being broken or lost in assembly. We have also had several reports of the magazine plug screw and the magazine plug itself having gone downrange. Buttstocks have cracked, but I don't remember any issue with the forearm stock other than fit. In a nutshell, I think I have read of every screw or pin used on the rifle come up broken or missing in assembly.

At one time, I had tried to purchase 100 of every pin and screw, plus the ejector collar, but they didn't have them in stock. I tried to work at it in small lots, but it was an impossible task as some were never in stock. My thought was to stock them for the forum, but there ended up being other problems with that as well.
:D :D :D Well that is depressing. As to screws, I bought a gunsmiths screw set once that had hundreds of the common gun screws. But would sure like to have a set of the factory ones and would be concerned about the bolt parts. I do not lose parts as I do minor building/modifications and big magnets and metal detectors and magnetic parts trays help with that. Well, I have had springs go into orbit, but always found them. LOL Thank you for this reply. Out.

o of I have 3 so sooner or later I should probably need something. I do not worry about stocks as there is Boyds and others that seem to always have them. Thanks.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Two "NIB" 20" .44 Mag, blued at Belcher's latest auction, lots 196 & 197.

http://www.belcherauction.com/030318-sportsmans-gu

Some other interesting levers listed, if you're inclined to scan the whole list.