Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OldGringo

Re: Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

Post by OldGringo »

Sorry to hear your troubles. I understand why you might put in the stainless or brass follower but have never had a problem with the dozen levers I have. But, I am curious about why the stainless spring. Same with my 1911s and shotguns, never ever found rust. I am retired military and we certainly got guns wet, but I cannot ever recall seeing an internal spring with rust on it. Seems to me if the carbon steel springs will rust the inside of the tube will also rust and should to replaced or nickeled or something. Just curious.
Maybe others can chime in a educate me.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

mm02901 wrote:
No screws missing but I intended to replace the plastic magazine follower and the magazine spring with a stainless steel spring and follower, however the magazine tube cap screw is so tight I could not remove it, neither could my gunsmith. I will have to order another screw and have the gunsmith drill out the existing one. He tried penetrating oil and applying heat but the only thing we accomplished is marring the screw head.
Sounds like the screw is galled, which is possible if it's stainless. Is it?
mm02901

Post by mm02901 »

it is a blued gun. The stainless follower and spring were just an idea I had for some cheap insurance due to the high humidity we have in the summer months here in North Carolina, as I intend to use this rifle for Cowboy action shooting. On a positive note I ran fifty rounds thru it today and it cycled flawlessly and the action is really smooth for a new in the box rifle. Also the accuracy seems to be excellent as the sights needed no adjustment and kept all rounds in the 10 inch circle at 25 yards. Not a very thorough test to be sure but it looks very good for the intended purpose.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

I think you will get much better accuracy once you get familiar with it. Mine in 357 with 20 inch blued, will easily do 3-4 inches at 50 with my senior eyes. I do not do scopes on my Rossis, I have Marlins for that. My 454 stainless with 20 inch will do even better with my reloads. I have not shot the refurb I just got with 16 inch tube, but these little guys are really just pretty accurate for what they are. I have a dozen or so levers, (not even sure) and every few years I just swab the tube out with a cleaning rod then use Remoil or something similar and coat the spring as well and forget about them. One trick I learned from an old guy once is for guns exposed to rain and humidity is to take them apart and wax them with Johnsons paste wax. I have used it many times on guns during rain and snow and it lasts longer than lube and can really save your wood as well. I may start putting that on the inside of my magazine tubes just for grins. Anybody on hear from Alaska or, Oregon or where it rains a lot have a suggestion? Anyway enjoy that 92. :D
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
mm02901

Post by mm02901 »

Sounds like a really good idea, I am going to give that a try also!
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

:D :D :D :D ...
deadeye

Post by deadeye »

OldGringo wrote:Sorry to hear your troubles. I understand why you might put in the stainless or brass follower but have never had a problem with the dozen levers I have. But, I am curious about why the stainless spring. Same with my 1911s and shotguns, never ever found rust. I am retired military and we certainly got guns wet, but I cannot ever recall seeing an internal spring with rust on it. Seems to me if the carbon steel springs will rust the inside of the tube will also rust and should to replaced or nickeled or something. Just curious.
Maybe others can chime in a educate me.
Several places selling brass, aluminum, or stainless followers - ebay has some too. Does the plastic follower cause problems? I know my barrel got pretty hot after cycling through about 75 .38s and .357s. I started wondering if the plastic followers melt? ;)

KGC says they will contact Rossi about the missing screw but worst case I found Jack First Gun Parts has them for $6.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

10" at 25 yards and it's for sale, returned, or in the creek. Mines old enough to have no plastic.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
deadeye

Post by deadeye »

Probably means 1". Shooting off hand at the range right after I picked up the gun Wednesday night, at 30 yrds, it strung together several 1" groups of 3 or 4 shots. If I was shooting something other than a silhouette, if supported, and my eyes were younger, it could do a little better.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

OldGringo wrote:Anybody on hear from Alaska or, Oregon or where it rains a lot have a suggestion? :D
Western Washington. Briwax.