Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
OldGringo

Re: Some new 20" .357 at kygunco

Post by OldGringo »

I do not shoot them fast enough to get them really hot, but I have never had a problem with them. Of course the plastic forearms on ARs never melt and they get really hot. But if 2 or 3 guys have that problem, then there are a dozen after market sellers suddenly that sell them and there are lots of aftermarket parts for them, and Marlins as well. I know that the plastic (polymers) in a Glock melt at 420 degrees and wood burns at 451 degrees and you will scald your hands in 140 degree water for 5 seconds. So, if you can still touch that little plastic part, I would not worry about the heat issue.

We need a couple guys to chime in here that actually had one break. I know lots of guys replace them but never actually met anyone that had a problem. Kind of like replacing those little plastic guide rods on a Glock, everybody does it, but have you ever met anybody that had one break? FWIW
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

It's mental I guess.

I have several "plastic" guns. I would never allow plastic on my levers or single action revolvers.

The only plastic on my made in 2011 10/22 is the magazine because I replaced all of the plastic stuff.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

:D Yep, me too. I own a pile of plastic guns and never had a problem. The older I get, the more I like my steel levers, Ruger single actions, and SW double actions. The only one I own with plastic handles is the Ruger Flat Top 45/45acp, stainless that came with factory fake ivory grips. Gives you that George Patton look. LOL I did find some real elephant ivory on line for about $650, about the same price as the gun, not something I will do until they announce my name on that lottery deal. I do not mind plastic stocks on my bolt guns, in fact I bought a plastic stock for my Weatherby 300 Mark V deluxe custom shop (inherited it). I put it on for hunting season, then take it off when season ends. Like you say, a mental thing.
"Any behavior is instinctive if it is performed without being based upon prior experience", lever action guns are instinctive, anyone can pick it up and know how it works... a natural extension of the human arms. +guns
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Okay, full disclosure. I'm a Mechanical Engineer. I don't use plastic when it's under continuous load because it creeps. So I've replaced guide rods and followers, maybe not for me, but for future generations. As far as stocks and grips, plastic works fine. Although, when you run out of bullets, walnut makes a better club.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

:D :D :D OK, just for fun, I have a Glock 19 purchased in 1990, it has had thousands of rounds thru it, been exposed to heat and cold, left in a closed pickup for decades with temps often below freezing and about 100 degrees. How long before that little plastic guide rod gives out? LOL. I am just looking to find a couple people that have actually had one of the little magazine followers actually fail. I do not know the spring strength, but it seems like only 10-12 lbs, maybe 15 when under load. And absolutely, I agree that walnut is better and wish they would put it on Rossis. On their website they just call it wood. But distributers call it Walnut finished mahogany. Now you have me worried about my Glock.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

In my professional opinion, I don't know. Maybe 20 years, maybe 50.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Search rubberwood on our forum or through Google. That is what is used for the stocks, a common Brazilian hardwood.
Michael
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

Thanks. I got 1.5 million hits. Always wondered what it really was. Any suggestion on what to treat it with? For 50 years I have used several things on wood stocks, but now just like Johnson Pastewax but may tri Briwax as suggested by another forum member.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I beg to differ on the wood. I think that it's Ipe. Ipe is used for decking, and there are a few proprietary deck finishes available. It's very oily, which is why mine didn't take a Danish Oil finish very well. My next one is getting an Ipe deck finish, although that might be too glossy for my taste.
OldGringo

Post by OldGringo »

That's a new one to me. Is your gun the old Puma type with the darker stock? I ran the lpe and could not find any reference to it being used for gun stocks. One link says it was so hard you often could not put a nail in it. https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-ipe-wood-2736661. My 3 are not hard, and all 3 have the lighter color. That link also say you can leave it outside for 25 years, without treatment, which does not sound like what I have. Also, this wood has a bad history of breaking under recoil in the circuit judge which does not sound like the lpe. Mine look very much like the mini 14 birch stocks used by Ruger. Wonder why Rossi does not just tell what it is? Lots of references to Brazilian mystery wood. LOL