Deer hunting sights for 44 mag

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
medezyner

Re: Deer hunting sights for 44 mag

Post by medezyner »

9x80Drilling wrote:Uh oh! RD is causing me to spend even more money on my 92!!! Fortunately, that's a good thing. I'm ordering a Turnbull FastFire barrel."
Well 9x8Drilling, I have to say i have had many similarities to your experiences. Maybe not the same game, but enough trial & error to fill a few paragraphs. Thanks for sharing your insight. It's funny how what worked perfectly on one firearm years ago, doesnt quite work the same now. I also like how optics have evolved and refined; so many options. If you get to do the Turnbull setup before I do, please let us know what you think - I'll do the same.
"We deal in lead, friend."
- Steve McQueen, The Magnificent Seven
medezyner

Post by medezyner »

HarryAlonzo wrote:
medezyner wrote:
You've mentioned that you haven't had a chance to run it. I'd recommend shooting it to find the POI, and that might influence your decision on a front sight height. Maybe install the rear sight of your choice first.
Good point. I'm Jones'n so much to revise the sights, I might be getting ahead of myself. I should know by now that there's going to be differences between my pumps, semi's and bolt actions. My 308 pump is definitely not going to be like this 16" 44 mag! Yup, need to slow it down, run some different ammo through it and get a feel for the rifle. I just might find that a simple iron sight setup is just the ticket. Thanks
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

I mis-spoke earlier . . . I have the Fastfire III, not the II. It's a wonderful thing, with the exception of the factory supplied mounting plate. The clamping bar is thin and bendy, and made contact at the wrong place. It took a bit of filing, and I never was happy with the fit on any Picatinny or Weaver rail. I replaced the mount with an American Defense quick release, which is very solid. However, it does add some height and bulk.

From the description, it sounds like the Turnbull mount uses the typical plate-in-the-dovetail-with-a-set-screw sorta scheme. But no pictures, and no blood trail on the interweb.
medezyner

Post by medezyner »

So I landed on installing Skinner aperture rear sight for these "challenged" vintage eyes. I like the idea of multiple apertures and the option of removing the aperture all together for a low light ghost ring sight. Question for the brain pool: I would like to upgrade the front sight for better visibility in all conditions. I thought of a fiber optic, but also like the idea of a brass bead. What are some of your set-up's for front sights? BTW, I'm setting this .44 mag 16"carbine for deer hunting in moderate to heavily wooded NH/ME terrain. I've jumped and taken most deer that were moving and under 100 yds. Thanks
9x80Drilling

Post by 9x80Drilling »

I'm up there in years myself-68 soon. And, I had eye surgery (torn retina) in my dominant, aiming eye some years ago and don't have the visual clarity in that eye I once had.
I've been experimenting with several sights on my .45 Colt 92. I used to believe in a patridge front, aperture rear combo for hunting guns in the dark woods. This combo worked very successfully for many, many elk, whitetails, muleys, and antelope and lots of forest grouse head shots with my drillings.
The past three years I've been shooting my 92 at big game. The brass bead and aperture combo is only fair for me. Far better is a low powered scout scope. I'm trying a Leatherwood 2x7. Much more promising than the scope for moving game in the timber has been a firesight bead with the Williams receiver-mounted aperture and the Williams ghost ring. Midway has them.
Now, what I believe will be better than any of these others for rapid, accurate woods shots is the Burris FastFire 3, presently on an NOE rail. Two days ago I spent a few hours trying the scoped setup, the red Firesight bead/Williams ghost ring, and the FastFire 3. The aperture stays on the carbine. The scope and the FastFire are both quick detach mounts. I repeatedly removed and replaced the scope and then the FastFire. Every time they came right back to zero. To say I was elated is correct.
My suggestion is to try a Burris FastFire on the Turnbull mount that fits into the removed buckhorn's dovetail, or on one of the NOE rails. Also try a Firesight front bead. I'm nearly positive you will prefer the red front sight for shooting moving targets instead of any colored or black bead.
medezyner

Post by medezyner »

Thanks for the insight 9x80Drilling; good input. My first choice was to do the fastfire/Turnbull setup, but I'd like to see if the Skinner will work for me...maybe it will, maybe not. I'm drawn to the simplicity of the aperture sight. I have an Atibal micro red dot on my Ruger redhawk and like it better than the scope I had mounted.