24" Oct barrel or 20" lightweight barrel

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Magnum .44

24" Oct barrel or 20" lightweight barrel

Post by Magnum .44 »

Does anyone know if there's a benefit in the longer barrel 065 model? I am in Australia and I am awaiting the arrival of my 20" SS 065. The lightweight and functionality of this model appeals as I intend on covering long distance on foot. I'm not sure that there is any pros to carrying the extra two pounds for the sake of aesthetics and minimal velocity gains from the 24" model.

Thoughts?
:geek:
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: 24" Oct barrel or 20" lightweight barrel

Post by zippy »

I have the 24" Octagon barrel, and it feels unique, but I had trouble describing it, beyond saying that it's added mass seems to stay where you point it (A body at rest wants to stay at rest ..).

I found this other commentary.

Most target shooting barrels are of the heavy barrels variety - sniper rifle barrels during wartime are heavy also. What a heavy barrel gives you is better stability of your projectile as it leaves the barrel the result being improved accuracy. The reason you don't often see this carry over into hunting is that you want to be mobile and a heavy barrel, if you've had one, is not something you want to lug around the bush with you. A compromise is made therefore for hunting and with a scoped rifle you generally will be fine. Another advantage of the heavy barrel is for distance shooting where again stability resulting in improved accuracy is key.

Additionally, a heavy barrel will be able to absorb more heat before the point of impact changes significantly which is important on a target rifle where you might be firing a large number of rounds in a compressed time against very small targets.
Conversely, a heavy barrel for this reason isn't necessary on a hunting rifle because in theory you should only need to fire 1 or 2 rounds.
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

I have a 20" octagonal 45 Colt, a 20" round barrel 357 and a 30" octagonal 40-65 Sharpes. If I was going to be on foot and moving all day it would be the 357. If I have a short walk-in to my stand I'll take either of the heavier rifles and my cross sticks, both wear tang sights and are just more accurate for my eyes if still hunting.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Magnum .44

Post by Magnum .44 »

Thanks Guys.

I think the wholesaler has stock of the Oct 24"s but its a 6-9 month wait for the more practical 20".

I have to decide whether to cancel the 20 and just run with the Oct. I could shorten the mag and sort go with the Henry Big Boy look
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Buy both! One you get to enjoy now, and one later.

I heartily agree with Zippy's synopsis of the differences.