Rossi 92 Cartridge Jam

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
powwowell

Rossi 92 Cartridge Jam

Post by powwowell »

I haven't been on the forum all that long and this is my first post. I usually lurk on a new forum for quite awhile to get familiar with it. But, I already have my first problem with my Rossi 92. I've loaded one cartridge and attempted to load the second. But, it will not go in the magazine. I've fired 27 rounds today and 27 last week. I've removed the plastic follower and replaced it with the steel one, replaced the ejector spring and the lever spring. The rifle is pretty smooth and I ws quite happy with it. I suppose I'll have to remove the mag spring and try to determine why the mag won't take cartridges? Any suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rossi 92 Cartridge Jam

Post by Ranch Dog »

powwowell wrote:I haven't been on the forum all that long and this is my first post. I usually lurk on a new forum for quite awhile to get familiar with it. But, I already have my first problem with my Rossi 92. I've loaded one cartridge and attempted to load the second. But, it will not go in the magazine. I've fired 27 rounds today and 27 last week. I've removed the plastic follower and replaced it with the steel one, replaced the ejector spring and the lever spring. The rifle is pretty smooth and I ws quite happy with it. I suppose I'll have to remove the mag spring and try to determine why the mag won't take cartridges? Any suggestions?
Afternoon and welcome to the forum. Crack the lever open slightly and see if they will go in.

When you had it opened up, did you flush the receiver & action works out with non-chlorinated break cleaner?
Michael
powwowell

Post by powwowell »

The lever will only move about an eighth of an inch.

Why would I flush the receiver and action with brake cleaner?

I'm going to take the magazine cap off and remove the spring. Maybe I'll be able to see what is happening in the magazine?
powwowell

Post by powwowell »

I bought the rifle used. The previous owner said he shot 200 rounds through it. Looks almost new. Sixteen inch barrel, stainless, .357 Magnum caliber. A manufacture date of 2012.
powwowell

Post by powwowell »

There was nothing wrong with the mag spring or follower. A flashlight showed that a cartridge was in the magazine. The lever would still not budge. I used a screwdriver in my left hand to hold the cartridge gate down, while using a screwdriver in my right hand, to work the cartridge out, that was stuck in the loading gate. The lever would now open.

I used a wooden dowel to try and push the stuck cartridge in the magazine forward. It wouldn't budge. I then tried a cleaning rod in the magazine to push the cartridge back into the action. It wouldn't budge. I then used a screwdriver (gently) to push the cartridge stop in, while using the cleaning rod to push the stuck cartridge, back into the action. Whew! I then shook the cartridge out of the action.

The rim of the cartridge had a burr on it. Two in fact. Before shooting anymore of my reloads, I'll check them for fit.
Santa01

Post by Santa01 »

Welcome, have you tried any factory ammo after this debacle?
powwowell

Post by powwowell »

Thanks for the Welcome.

I've tried Fiocchi, Federal and my reloads. Why was my experience a debacle? Synonyms for debacle: fiasco, failure, catastrophe, disaster, mess, ruin.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

Before I relieved the loading gate spring on my .357 92 per Steve's Gunz DVD, loading was difficult and rounds sometimes got stuck like yours.

Good luck.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Welcome.
powwowell wrote:Why was my experience a debacle?
I think if you read whay you wrote you'll know.
powwowell wrote:Synonyms for debacle: fiasco, failure, catastrophe, disaster, mess, ruin.
Wow. +corn
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
powwowell

Post by powwowell »

Thanks for the comments. Somehow, I expected more.

Rossi deserves a pat on the back for fit and tolerances. Those burrs caused no problems going through the reloading procedure. I'm sure they would function in Ruger revolvers. A problem may have shown up in revolvers with recessed cylinders (older S&Ws).

Happy trails,
Larry