Ejecting .38 Specials

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Re: Ejecting .38 Specials

Post by akuser47 »

I load what I call 357 specials basically 38 special loads in a 357 case I do this to make cleaning easier so no carbon ring starts to form in my chamber. I never need to worry about it now. You can still have soft shooting rounds that run cleaner this way. I have always labeled my powder puff boxes as .357 specials so I know first hand what I am dealing with, and I also have the load data listed on the labels to enlighten me as well.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
dlidster

Post by dlidster »

SoonerPGH wrote:. . . I may try the springs first and see what that does . . .
A spring change usually does wonders for the feel of a 92, but springs have nothing to do with what you're experiencing. Take a look at the last entry on the first page in the link, the one with illustrations. When you understand the mechanics of a 92 retaining/releasing the rear-most cartridge in the magazine tube it will become clear that the COAL is the key to reliable function.

If you're not going to load your own cartridges, take a ruler to the place where you purchase .38 ammo. Measure cartridges and purchase those that are 1.5" OAL or longer. (Hint: 125 gr round nose won't be long enough.)

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5372
SoonerPGH

Post by SoonerPGH »

dlidster wrote:
SoonerPGH wrote:. . . I may try the springs first and see what that does . . .
A spring change usually does wonders for the feel of a 92, but springs have nothing to do with what you're experiencing. Take a look at the last entry on the first page in the link, the one with illustrations. When you understand the mechanics of a 92 retaining/releasing the rear-most cartridge in the magazine tube it will become clear that the COAL is the key to reliable function.

If you're not going to load your own cartridges, take a ruler to the place where you purchase .38 ammo. Measure cartridges and purchase those that are 1.5" OAL or longer. (Hint: 125 gr round nose won't be long enough.)

http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5372
Thank you for your insight. I'm no gunsmith and have not had enough experience to even call myself an amateur gunsmith. I piddle around with it, at best. I have used videos and manuals to successfully do the trigger jobs I've done. I really appreciate the shared knowledge. Seriously, thank you!