Found a .357 SRC

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
RickinVA

Found a .357 SRC

Post by RickinVA »

So after learning the new 92s won't be available until 2018 and wondering if there might be QC issues after the merger I bit the bullet and purchased a used .357 SRC I found on GI. More than I wanted to pay, but exactly what I have always wanted - pre-safety, 20" .357, listed as 95+ condition. Should have it next week. Would appreciate any ideas on what to put on, if anything, the saddle ring as I don't want it to rub on the receiver. Thanks.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Found a .357 SRC

Post by Ranch Dog »

Loop a leather boot lace through it and cut to fit.
Michael
ethang

Post by ethang »

I might have been inclined to pay extra for one without the safety so don't feel too bad about paying too much for it.
Plastic has no soul...
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Cool! Another "old model ".

They have no plastic parts so the only things you might want to do is trim the mag spring, put in a lighter ejector spring, and shim the trigger leaf spring.

I have a topic somewhere on my SRC and the slick job I put on it. To me the old ones are much better and worth more dollars. I bought the only one I've seen in person.

My seller gave me a length of leather strap as RD suggested. Baseball glove lacing is another source.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Thanks for the ideas. Looking forward to seeing how it runs, sights, etc. If you want to see photos now it's listed on GI as Rossi Model 92 SRC from Roger's Firearms. He also has an engraved one for $750 and said he would be posting another with the puma head also for $750.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

RickinVA wrote:He also has an engraved one for $750 and said he would be posting another with the puma head also for $750.
WHOA! :shock:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
RickinVA

Post by RickinVA »

Yes, a lot of money, and I generally am not a fan of engraving, but this one is pretty nice.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I think $800 for an 1894C fish is too much but people pay a grand. In 2013 $380 was too much for the exact rifle I bought in 2016 for more.

Like Okie44 says, if you feel you paid too much you bought it too early.

They'll usually always go up.

I refinished a Stevens 87D recently and got $140. Lots of old dead guys are rolling in their graves.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

There are more "pre-owned" guns on the market now than any time I remember. All the buying of the previous Presidental administration has come to bear on those that felt the end was near. I find it funny that many think that they should get more than they paid for the gun even when they paid a premium for the arm during the height of the demand. I have several bolt rifles that I was going to put on the consignment rack/Gun Broker, but after looking at what the sales are doing, I just moved them to the back of the safe and will let them be for a couple of years.

Prepping the rifles for sale also got me back to a task of prepping all my arms for sale with text and pictures. My wife has never cared what or how much I buy but has just made me promise that I don't leave her with the mess of getting rid of it all. I've seen auction houses and FFLs rob widows blind and laugh about it, so I've been careful to prep ahead, but I will even take more control of it.

As far as the Rossi values go, the lack of new stock from the factory is helping the sale prices along with the discounting of the various models and cartridge offerings of the 92s. The Rio Grande isn't worth much, and neither are the Single Shots. The main thing to remember about any Rossi is the lack of spare parts. Something breaks the value of the rifle becomes the remainder of the parts.
Michael
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

I attended an auction Wednesday. They had some nice lever guns I was curious about. But at the price they sold for I passed.
A Marlin 444 sold for $850, a 1894 Marlin .357 sold for $875.
A Rossi 45 Colt large loop 16" sold for $525. A well used SRC .357 sold for $365.
Plus a 15% buyers premium.