Tritium sights for the 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Nordic44

Re: Tritium sights for the 92

Post by Nordic44 »

Had to do a couple of iterations so it's taken a while, but I think the concept will be pretty solid when all the little bits are ironed out. Below are pics of where the project is currently, mainly due to lack of quality time together with my rifle.

The main issue has been with the rear sight, mostly because I got the measurements wrong and had to do 3 iterations with it. As you see from the pics below it's still not where it should be, still way too high up and uncentered. I think this is a minor issue however, and will be easy to fix by changing the tolerances. I made the shroud too snug for the blade and because the printer doesn't do exact tenths of a millimetre, I wasn't able to get the perfect fit.

The front sight shroud fit perfectly from the off, but as visible in the wobbly sight picture you can see there will be an issue with sight alignment unless I get the rear lower than what it currently is. But I'm still pretty confident this will work and will print several variables this week so I can get the rear fixed and pop the tritium vials in. I'm not expecting recoil to be any kind of issue because gluing the parts on will make them as solid as the current metal sights.

Again, will keep you posted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Looks good now if you can dial it in. My only concern would be that front sight hanging over the base. I get caught and stuck in my pants belt in the mornings. So I know I would snag that sight on something someday, maybe my pants belt to LoL :oops:
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
Nordic44

Post by Nordic44 »

Guys, the sights absolutely worked, although I will later on make some modifications as suggested in your replies. The first pic below shows the obvious flaw pointed out by akuser47, i.e. the hanging front sight, which I'll fix later by making the shroud rounder and low enough to hug the barrel.
IMG_6404.jpg
The next image is of the sight picture, which is still a bit messy & crowded in daylight, something I'll have to figure out later as well.
IMG_6409.jpg
And finally a couple of pictures of the sights in the dark, I put red vials in the rear sight and green in front, but couldn't really focus my phone's camera very well to show what it actually looks like. The front sight is very crisp in the dark but the rear sight is fuzzy, not sure if its my eyesight or more to do with the distance from my eyes and focusing on the front bead. Anyhow it works well, I took the rifle for a spin today in a dusky pine forest so I'd get some tritium glow in the daytime, didn't have any other issues apart from the usual problem with the 92 - it's too fun to shoot so I can't be bothered to aim too long but tend to let fly offhand.
IMG_6407.jpg
IMG_6406.jpg
With the new sights I shot about 2 inches low from 25 yards, but accuracy was not affected by the crowded sight picture and got about 20 shots in a group the size of my palm. So the sights work on the range and I'll take the rifle on a hunt in a few weeks to see if they work where intended as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Looks like you're on your way! Best of luck!
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Great work I love the 2 color tritium's it's easier to pick up the front sight with the contrast.
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!