My Bolt Won't Open ~ Unseated Firing Pin Stop Pin!

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
E1957T

My Bolt Won't Open ~ Unseated Firing Pin Stop Pin!

Post by E1957T »

The bolt won't open on my 92. The lever moves far enough the draw the locking lugs out an the bolt moves about a quarter inch and comes up solid. Everything was fine till I put a leather cover on my finger lever. I was opening and closing lever some and rolling the gun around as I lashed the cover on. It's like a pin inside slid out of place and catches. I need some ideas on how to get it to open so I can fix it.
Conman

Re: My Bolt Won't Open ~ Unseated Firing Pin Stop Pin!

Post by Conman »

Utube video shows you how to take it apart.
E1957T

Post by E1957T »

Conman wrote:Utube video shows you how to take it apart.
I have several Rossi's and have taken them apart to work them over. This one I can take everything apart so that the bolt should slide out but it strikes something and won't slide out. If anybody has run into this before I was hoping to hear from them.
echo89

Post by echo89 »

Most likely culprit is the pin connecting the lever to the bolt. It may have backed out a bit. The youtube video opening scene illustrates the uppermost screw on the left side of the receiver. Unscrew it, and with a flat punch, tap the pin in. Then retry the lever. Start easy with the tapping, go harder if necessary.

If this doesn't free to bolt, I am out of easy sugg's, but there are plenty of smarter people on this board.

Best,
echo
woden

Post by woden »

I had a similar problem recently. Try the above first, if that does not work, try losening screws on the sides of the receiver. If that does not work, dissasemble the rifle. Go to you tube and watch, there are numerous videos.

Dissasemble the rifle as far as possible. If you do this and the bolt will still not open (i.e. with the locking lugs out, and hammer, lever, lifter, cartridge guides and lower tang) you may have some debris in the rails or a portion of a pin blocking things, or something galled, or bended. On mine, one of the ejector stop pins came out. The ejector stop (the thing attached to bottom of the bolt) would pivot up and down when it should be stationary (there are two pins holding to the bolt) Regardless , something galled or blocked the bolt from opening. After dissasembling everything and studying it for about a day, I just took a punch and placed it on the inside edge of one of the bolt races on the bolt (where the locking bars travel upward through it) and beat on it with a small hammer, towards the back (or out) until the bolt popped open. The bolt would not enter back in without hitting that same hang up. Push all the way in and it would not slide out, so I beat it open again. I checked all the surfaces in the receiver and on the bolt and could not find the problem. I even tried the old sharpie method. I ended up taking lapping compound and putting it on the bolt and the recesses in the receiver and working it over and over until the hang-up was gone. When done lapping I blew out the whole receiver and bolt with non chlorinated brake cleaner. Now its back to "slick as snot". What a pain in the can! I pounded the pin that came out back to reasonable shape and put it back in the ejector stop, added some permanant lock tite also. Now everything is good.

Good Luck.
dalek

Post by dalek »

E1957T wrote:I have several Rossi's and have taken them apart to work them over. This one I can take everything apart so that the bolt should slide out but it strikes something and won't slide out. If anybody has run into this before I was hoping to hear from them.
If you took everything apart -- hammer and lever assemblies, etc -- you can check if the feeding system is where it should be. Other than that, shine a light from the lever hole and see if you can find something funny. AFAIK, the bolt rides in a channel where the only places things can catch on are the lever to bolt pin hole, the locking bolts cutout, and the bottom. If you eliminated the bolt to lever pin -- which you must have since you removed everything but the bolt assembly, I would look underneath the bolt as it is rather open.
E1957T

Post by E1957T »

I was finally had time to sit down with my rifle and figure this thing out. I took everything apart that I could. When I took the cartridge lifter out I could see the entire bottom of the bolt. There was a cross pin slid to one side in the front of the bolt. This pin is part of a hook the catches the shell ejector spring collar. I used a long o-ring pick with a right angle on it to push the pin back to center and the bolt slid right out. To keep this from happening again I gently staked the pin hole on each side of the bolt. While it was apart I did a little more fitting on the cartridge door. The trigger had an annoying habit of not always locking at full cock when I ran the lever so I did some stone work on the trigger and all seems goon now. I have 3 Rossi's all 357's and this one, a 20" octagon has been the problem child, it's the only one I bought new.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Great find and a first. I will retitle your topic so others might find it if needed.
Michael
echo89

Post by echo89 »

Well done!
pistolcalrookie

Post by pistolcalrookie »

Pleased that you sorted the rifle and thanks to all who contributed to the thread, knowledge is an excellent gift.
I consider myself to be a modestly competent "mechanic" but would have been in all sorts of bother without my friends here.