R92 in .45 take hot rugger only loads?

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Matthew.kaye

R92 in .45 take hot rugger only loads?

Post by Matthew.kaye »

Hi all

Im new to the forum and not sure weather to get the .44 mag or .45 colt r92. My question is, will the .45 colt take hot rugger only loads or the +p loads by buffalo boar at 30,000psi of pressure?
plaidad

Re: R92 in .45 take hot rugger only loads?

Post by plaidad »

Matthew -
I'm not an expert, but the fellow who wrote this article http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/ ... vergun.htm is supposed to be pretty knowledgeable. He seems to think that the Rossi .45 will do.
Matthew.kaye

Post by Matthew.kaye »

Thankyou plaidad!
Ohio3Wheels
1000 Shots
1000 Shots

Post by Ohio3Wheels »

This may be a case of do as they say not as I do, but nearly all of my hunting loads for my 45 Colt '92 are from the "Ruger/Contender" only side of the manuals. I'll just say I use heavy bullets (cast and jacket) and a lot of H110. Thus far I've not seen any pressure signs on the cases or battering on the gun and the loads stay minute of deer at 50 yards in spite of the slow twist.

YMMV, follow all standard loading precautions and a good manual.

Make smoke,
Curt... makin' smoke and raising my carbon foot print one cartridge at a time Image
Matthew.kaye

Post by Matthew.kaye »

Thanks Ohio3Wheels. Start slow and work hp untill you see any pressure sighns baisicly!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Matthew.kaye wrote:Hi all

Im new to the forum and not sure weather to get the .44 mag or .45 colt r92. My question is, will the .45 colt take hot rugger only loads or the +p loads by buffalo boar at 30,000psi of pressure?
Mine has. My shooting is up to 35.0K PSI. Haven't had any problems with my rifle other than the wear and tear on my shoulder.
Michael
Warhawk
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by Warhawk »

I used to have a 45 Colt Trapper. Also had some odds and ends of leftover loads from a Ruger bisley, bullets up to 325 grains in stout loads. The Rossi 92 gobbled them up, but I paid for it. They were at least mid range 45-70 loads in a 5 pound carbine with a steel buttplate. Not much fun, but very comforting if you really need the power. I'd still have it, but decided to consolidate calibers and sold it to focus on 44 magnums.
Matthew.kaye

Post by Matthew.kaye »

Im also tempted by the 454 casull r92 with the prospect of being able to shoot .45 cowboy loads for action shooting and smaller game and the 454 casulles for the bigger stuff!
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

With regard to caliber choices, it all depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it.
The 92 action generally will handle heavy loads. The action was one of the first lever action designs that would. It then becomes a matter of logistics and purpose. IF you are wanting to do both hunting with heavy loads and cowboy action with powder puff level rounds using the same gun then either way you are talking about reloading or buying rather expensive specialty ammo.

IF you think you may be stuck with factory ammo for any reason then it may be harder to get heavy loads in .45 Colt or light loads in .44 Mag/.44 Special and if you can get them the prices will no doubt be more expensive.

I made my decision to go with .44 Mag based in large part on not having to worry about segregating ammo for a particular gun or having to worry about getting a high pressure round designed for the 92 or 94 lever action in a 73 Winchester or Schofield replica that wasn't built for it. If all you are dealing with are high pressure capable designs and you keep your ammo clearly marked and aren't concerned about someone getting and using any of it in a lesser capable design then that may not be an issue.

Another thing to consider is that beyond a certain point the recoil requires some additional modifications to the guns. The 454 caliber guns you mention use a threaded mag tube and mating threaded receiver to help prevent the mag tube jumping out during recoil. It isn't much of a problem up through .44 Mag but was apparently required with the .454 and .480 guns.
Spider

Post by Spider »

Not sure on the 45 but the BB 320 gr (I think or 340, the big ones anyway) 44 loads were too long to feed correctly in my gun. As far as load swapping from shoulder busting 300gr to light cowboy loads my poi changes tremendously. I have a scout scope and have to adjust my scope back and forth. I set zero for cowboy loads and write down my adjusted settings for my 255 gas checked h110 hunting loads. Did I forget to mention all of the 255-300gr full house loads have been painfull to develop in a t shirt with the crescent SS buttplate. My 2 cents