Took the 92 apart

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
remus

Took the 92 apart

Post by remus »

I don't know how you all do it. Takem apart and putem back together without trouble. I took mine apart to clean and check and just see how it worked. When I started putting it all back together, with the help of a youtube tutorial, I had nothing but trouble. Couldn't get holes to line up, things to slide into place, other things to go together. I've taken apart and put together probably a hundred different handguns and rifles and never had trouble like I had with the Rossi 92. Took two weeks with a lot of aggravation. I will never take this rifle apart again for any reason. If it breaks, it's gonna stay broken and I'll sell it, telling the buyer it's broke. It works now, shoots well, as it did before, so as long as it works I'll keep it.
johniv

Re: Took the 92 apart

Post by johniv »

I thought it was a PITA as well , but in reality it just takes a little repetition. 3 or 4 hundred times should do it. Took me most of a day, and I aint lookn to do it again, only because I am afraid of losing parts, and having no replacements. You gotta remember it is a design that is over one hundred years old and guns designed then were not made to be as user friendly as guns today. Do a search here , there are some tips on reassembly that will help . like this.
http://www.rossi-rifleman.com/viewtopic ... ntal+Floss
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

It ain't just you. +1

I shot mine for a while before I decided what it needed, then got the tools, ordered the parts, and the Steve's Gunz DVD.

Even working right in front of the monitor, hitting pause constantly, it was still a bear to reassemble the first time, and required an extra set of hands from my husband. I don't see myself taking it apart again unless something breaks.

In hindsight, the improvement accomplished made a big difference in usability, and I'd do it again with another rifle if I had one.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Yup, not the easiest firearm to disassemble/reassemble, but not the hardest, either. Try an old hammerless SxS shotgun some time. I still have a scar from bouncing a hammer spring off my forehead. Conversely, I just went through the process with a Savage 99, and that's a breeze by comparison, as long as you don't touch the rotary magazine. With the 92, I think we pay the price for it being compact.
pirkfan

Post by pirkfan »

I've had a couple of Rossi 92's apart a bunch of times. This guy (My Rossi Rifle) has the best videos for the job and I've just followed his disassembly/reassembly instructions without any problems:

If this wasn't the video you used, I highly recommend it.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I'm an automotive technician that owns a Ruger MKIII 22/45 so I've seen worse.

The R92 is not easy for sure.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by zippy »

pirkfan wrote:I've had a couple of Rossi 92's apart a bunch of times. This guy (My Rossi Rifle) has the best videos for the job and I've just followed his disassembly/reassembly instructions without any problems:

If this wasn't the video you used, I highly recommend it.
Thanks for posting that. I used his earlier video as a guide also, but this remake is much better.

Almost makes me want to strip the 92. Almost. ;)
remus

Post by remus »

That is the tutorial that I used. His rifle just came apart easily and slid back together the same way. Mine was tight, sticky, un co-operative. I had to muscle some parts and it always seemed to be difficult to make the pars move in the raceways they were supposed to go into. I'll not take this gun apart again for any reason. It wasn't fun and my fingers got sore.
Got9244

Post by Got9244 »

GasGuzzler wrote:I'm an automotive technician that owns a Ruger MKIII 22/45 so I've seen worse.

The R92 is not easy for sure.
Here's a tutorial for your Ruger.......it works!

Conman

Post by Conman »

I just love the egos that go along with modern firearms owners!! :D

John Moses Browning spent, I'm guessing, months - or maybe years, figuring out just how to make all the parts of the lever action rifle work together and last a few live times.

Now, along comes twenty-first century American who gets upset because he was not born with the knowledge to take it apart and put it back together the FIRST TIME. Give me a break people! :roll:

I cannot think of one reason to take the rifle apart!! Is something broken?? If NOT I never take my firearms apart. It certainly is not needed to clean them ....

Just my rant for the day, +guns +guns