New Member, New 92 44 Picture added

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Got9244

New Member, New 92 44 Picture added

Post by Got9244 »

After spending some time lurking on this forum and doing a lot of online research I decided to take the plunge and purchase a 92 carbine. Nearly all of my long gun shooting experience up to now has involved bolt action rifles and most recently AR-15's (5.56 and 6.8 caliber). I was looking for new hunting challenges, so along with some pistol hunting I chose the 16" 92 in 44 for close range deer blinds, and its a caliber that I already have various reloading components for. First impressions: After reading multiple reviews from good to very bad I really didn't know what to expect, so when my carbine arrived from Bud's I was pleasantly surprised. I was anticipating having to do an action job and refinishing the stock....not so, fit and finish is very good (wood actually has a bit of grain) and the action feels very solid. After cleaning the grease out and cycling the action several hundred times the action is slick enough for my purposes. I replaced the follower with a metal one from Steve's and installed a Marbles Bullseye Ghost Ring rear sight with a fiber optic front (old eyes). Will probably leave the safety alone as it doesn't bother me...yet. I installed a Steve's saddle ring* just for the cool factor and picked up a Brass Stacker sling for woods carry. Amazing what a light but powerful package this makes. No range time yet, soon to follow with pictures.

*One issue: I'm glad I bought the Steve's saddle ring because I discovered that the existing hammer screw had "no" threads! The only thing holding it in place was the hammer spring tension??? Anyone ever run across this before? Thank god the receiver was threaded, the saddle ring snugged up tight. I called the Rossi customer service line and they said they would send me a new screw no charge. I can't complain about that.

Here's a picture of the original hammer screw (bottom) with no threads vs. replacement supplied by Rossi. I caught this before the rifle was fired. Scuffing was caused from cycling action, thread groves in receiver ok.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Got9244 on 06 Aug 2017 16:06, edited 1 time in total.
zippy
250 Shots
250 Shots

Re: New Member, New 92 44

Post by zippy »

Good to hear about another NIB 92 that is working well so far. Hope the ammo feeds and goes downrange good for you as well.

Welcome to the forum.
johniv

Post by johniv »

Welcome aboard sir.
rondog
250 Shots
250 Shots

Post by rondog »

Welcome! No kidding, no threads on the hammer screw? And it didn't bugger up the threads in the receiver? How bizarre.

Been thinking about that saddle ring myself, not that I really need one. Looks cool though!
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Welcome! 44 is fun to hand load.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Welcome to the forum. Interesting find on the hammer screw!
Michael
akuser47
Founding Member
Founding Member

Post by akuser47 »

Welcome, and I'm glad your screw didn't screw you on a hunt. Another reason it's best to strip completely down to degrease and address possible unseen issues. +guns
Live Free,Ride Free, Or Die Fighting, For The Right, To do So!
armyRN

Post by armyRN »

I checked out that "Brass Stacker" site - thanks; now I want to buy one.

https://brassstacker.com/No-Drill-Harne ... ROSSI.html

Pretty cool concept.