Stock modification

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
mrcabinet

Stock modification

Post by mrcabinet »

I've wanted a .44 lever action for years, and was all excited when I found a smoking deal on a 20" 92 a few months back. Brought it home, took it apart and slicked up the innards. Took it to the range the next day,

First shot and I knew I didn't care for the sights or stock on it. I was seriously looking at the Boyd's stocks - until I read all the negative reviews about the fit. So, knowing that this rifle will never be a collector's item, I decided to modify the stock by rounding it over (more like a mdl. 94)and adding a recoil pad to it. Here it is after the modifications, staining and 22 coats of semi-gloss polyurethane (6 coats sand, 6 coats sand, 6 coats sand, 4 finish). Oh - and the Skinner peep sight as well.

I didn't have any Mersawa or Miranti, which I believe the stock is made out of, so I inlaid a piece of mahogany that I had. A little darker, but at least the grain is similar.

Now this rifle shoots like the "fun gun" that I thought it would be! This is my first experience with a Kick Eez pad, and I have to say they are fantastic. BTW, this is an awesome site with an unbelievable wealth of knowledge on it. Thanks to those that inspired me!
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stock modification

Post by Ranch Dog »

Very nice work! Which KickEez did you use?
Michael
mrcabinet

Post by mrcabinet »

I went with the 301-6-L-BR (3/4"). I wanted a little more length of pull and this got me an additional 7/16" after cutting out the curve.
jdl447

Post by jdl447 »

Nice.By the looks of your forum name you probably have some woodworking experience?
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

Thanks for sharing. Looks good.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
HarryAlonzo
500 Shots
500 Shots

Post by HarryAlonzo »

Beautiful! Looks like kismet to me.
mrcabinet

Post by mrcabinet »

Yeah, a little bit of woodworking knowledge - 30+ years worth. I even have a short finger to prove it! Honestiy, it isn't that difficult to do, and that ridge on top smacking my jaw bone was downright painful.
Ranch Dog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ranch Dog »

Thanks for the number. I see the BR has been discontinued but Black is still available. What about the extension between stock and pad, I need more length as well, any part number for it?

Oh, welcome to the forum!
Michael
mrcabinet

Post by mrcabinet »

That black piece is actually the pad base and not a separate extension. That number still comes up on their site under the Grind to Fit All Purpose pads. They do make thicker pads in 15/16" and 1 1/8" as well. If you Google the part number you can find them for considerably less than MSRP.
pistolcalrookie

Post by pistolcalrookie »

Welcome Mr Cabinet.
Very nice work indeed, the exact opposite of "Bubba'd" .