My first 92

The Rossi Model R92, a lightweight carbine for Cowboy Action, hunting, or plinking! Includes Rossi manufactured Interarms, Navy Arms, and Puma trade names.
Accadacca

My first 92

Post by Accadacca »

GRV01 wrote:
Accadacca wrote:
akuser47 wrote:Yea 357 the most popular of the 92 guns. Look at the pole we ran above its obvious just within our forum. +guns
Here's the thread.
Yes, I have seen that many times, and it received more votes than the next two most popular chamberings, specifically 44 magnum and 45 Colt, combined. Which is a little bit surprising because there seems to be an awful lot of "literature" about the 45 Colt in lever actions. By literature I mean content on various forums, YouTube videos et cetera. It seems like everyone TALKS about the 45 Colt but everyone WANTS a 357.

In fact I myself have two 357 carbines, a 357 rifle, and a 45 carbine which I never shoot. It's an old interarms specimen and cycling the lever is like grinding coffee. Or maybe cranking an ice cream maker. I'm too lazy to take it apart and try to clean it up.
Do you feel that if you had gotten a better 45 outta the box youd like and shoot it more?

In anycase i could find and buy a Rossi 44 or 45 right now NIB in minutes but when i was looking for my 357 20" and my wifes Trapper man, it was a mission. Digging through the internet page after page until finally i found them NIB and in stock. That search alone made it clear to me theyre the most popular

I think some of your confusion lay with Rossi discontinuing all their octagons in 20 and 24" versions, but ad mentioned previously the 16 and 30" round barrels are selling strong

You mentioned you had other 357s, would this be your first Rossi?
It's a long story but yes, the 45 was my first Rossi and my first lever action rifle. I bought it somewhat on an impulse in 98 or 99. I was interested in cowboy action shooting at the time but that never really panned out. I never even fired it for the first probably 4 or 5 years and to date I have put less than 300 rounds through it, maybe even less than 100. I'm just not interested in the 45 any more: nothing to do with the roughness of the action, I just think the 357 is more versatile and more useful for a casual shooter like myself. I actually would like to sell it to fund other activities, but I feel like it probably wouldn't be marketable because of the condition and I just haven't ever taken the time to clean up the action or the wood. As it stands I have 3 different 357's, and I really don't have a good reason for having all of them. And yet I still would like to have another one in the 16-inch offering.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Accadacca

Re: My first 92

Post by Accadacca »

I've been in the process for the past few years of selling off guns and trying to get myself down to a handful that I actually shoot once in a while. At one point I had, well, alot more guns than I care to admit, and I had never fired the vast majority of them. I just kept buying more guns and then sticking them in the closet and buying more guns. And it wasn't like they were particularly collectible or anything like that either.
"... in this present crisis, government is not the solution to the problem: government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Archer
2000 Shots
2000 Shots

Post by Archer »

I can sympathize with the buying thing although I do try and get stuff that I'm interested in as well as stuff that I can probably resale for at least what I've got in it as long as the commies don't completely take over the government.

Rossi on the resale market is a matter of finding somebody who wants it and being willing to let it go without trying to get your money out of it IMO. Of course that can apply to a lot of things but you are more likely to see a Smith & Wesson hold value or a Winchester increase a bit over decades depending on condition but since I tend to use them from time to time any increase in book value tends to be offset by wear and tear.

There are those who will buy a gun that's been tuned or refinished and those who would rather it be like new in box. I tend to be the latter most of the time.
I'd suggest that running the action with some lubricant manually while holding the trigger down about 1000 cycles, cleaning and relubricating after each 250 or 500 might smooth things out a bit.
GasGuzzler

Post by GasGuzzler »

I prefer the old ones by a mile. Roughness is easily fixed.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.
Accadacca

Post by Accadacca »

GasGuzzler wrote:I prefer the old ones by a mile. Roughness is easily fixed.
If by old ones you mean pre-safety, all four of mine qualify, but the one in question is just in a caliber I'm not interested in anymore. It is an interarms 45 Colt carbine. I also have an Interarms/NKJ stainless 357 carbine, a Navy arms stainless 357 carbine that could use a little smoothing but is serviceable and an NKJ blued 357 long rifle which, if memory serves, is stamped Hartford. I'm too lazy to go get it out of the car and look.

Sometimes I get crazy notions about converting the 45 to something like Bain & Davis... kinda above my level though. And I don't really have any use for a hot 357 like that, being just a casual shooter.